Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are these a good choice of subjects? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what I want to to after I leave 6th form, but I am considering the following options;
    Business studies single
    Economics
    Sociology
    Btec level 3 travel and tourism - or maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It isn't recommended to do business studies and economics as they are so similar. Economics is better respected between the two. Maths goes well with econ. Sociology is ok but is considered a bit of a "weak" subject, like business studies.

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned doing both to my business teacher and he failed to mention that doing both together wasn't a good idea 👎

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's strange...most unis won't accept it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emilygeorgia98)
    I have no idea what I want to to after I leave 6th form, but I am considering the following options;
    Business studies single
    Economics
    Sociology
    Btec level 3 travel and tourism - or maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't do both Business Studies and Economics. Do Maths instead of the BTEC. And I've heard that some people look down on Sociology, but I don't know much about it at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would do psychology but that didn't go great at Gcse.
    I'll speak with the business teacher and see if he knows anything about not doing them together.
    I'm thinking of the Btec as I have a feeling I may struggle with maths. A lot of them that are doing it got a* in year 10 and I'm only just a b

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest Maths over the BTEC, it isn't too hard at AS and you could drop it if you find A2 too difficult. Your GCSE grade shouldn't really come down to it, i assume you are going to study more for your A levels than you did for your GCSEs which in that case will allow you enough time to really understand the concepts

ReputationRep:
    Forget about that nonsense BTEC in Travel and Tourism and focus on maths. And every sixth form in the country (as far as I'm aware) assumes you have no understanding of Psychology as it's a new subject so your GCSE grades don't matter in the slightest.

And how do you mean when you say you didn't do great at GCSE? Don't you do your exams in the summer?

But anyway I reckon Maths, Economics, Psychology and something else (Sociology perhaps) would be solid. Just don't do Business alongside Economics... as others have said they're too similar and the latter is far more respected anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Although it is true that it is generally frowned upon to take both business and economics together, I took them both at AS and have taken then both to A2 and have have received offers from all my university's for an economics degree. Including 4 redbricks. Unless you want to apply to the very top universities I wouldn't be too concerned about this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I sat 2 gcses early. I completed them in a year.
    The reasoning I added a Btec was due to the fact I probably won't be able to cope with the pressure that sixth form brings.
    Psychology maths economics and sociology would be way too solid, so swapping one for a Btec seems a much more logical idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.