Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found out this evening my sixth form will have wifi, which enables me to take my own device to complete work on.
    My problem now is. What do I get?
    Can't be too big as I'll still need to put it in my bag.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilygeorgia98)
    I found out this evening my sixth form will have wifi, which enables me to take my own device to complete work on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's your budget? What will you be using it for? Do you want a laptop or tablet? When you say bag, are we taking backpack, messenger bag or handbag?

If you can provide a few more details we can make suggestions :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a specific budget. I can go with whatever.
    It will probably be mainly used for coursework as two of my chosen subjects will be predominantly coursework and my bag will more than likely be a large handbag

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably a laptop too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Use a notebook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How large are they haha. I mean I want something small ish but decent 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a specific budget. I can go with whatever.
    It will probably be mainly used for coursework as two of my chosen subjects will be predominantly coursework and my bag will more than likely be a large handbag

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Coursework means lots of typing, so a small form factor laptop would probably be the way to go rather than a tablet. If you want to go cheap, the HP Stream 11" and Acer Aspire ES1-11M are pretty nifty little netbook-esque laptops that cost less than £200 at Currys- put another £50 into a 1TB USB hard drive though as their internal storage is minuscule. Chromebooks are also worth considering if you're only going to be using the laptop wherever there's wifi. If you want something fancier, ultrabooks will be faster, better built, have more storage and generally nicer to use. In my opinion for an 11" laptop the MacBook Air line are still the best option for most people- best in class keyboard and trackpad, excellent build quality, really quick for non-intensive stuff, and I personally prefer OS X. The only thing they're falling behind on are their screens, which are nice enough but disappointingly low resolutions for fairly expensive laptops.

ReputationRep:
    How large are they haha. I mean I want something small ish but decent

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're 30cm x 20cm for the 11" model, 32.5cm x 22.7cm for the 13". And less than an inch thick at their thickest point. Very tiny :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a look at all those, thank you 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    11" sounds a good size 👀😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel i have an awful lot of saving to do now I have the idea of a an £800 laptop in my head

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in year 13 and have never needed to use a tablet or laptop at college. It's your choice, but all I've needed is my phone for past papers and pdf textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    I feel i have an awful lot of saving to do now I have the idea of a an £800 laptop in my head

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bare in mind that for basic coursework stuff there's only so much value to gain in that £600ish price difference, it's up to you to decide how much value you place on the benefits of a more extravagant laptop over a basic one.

All I would say is don't buy for the sake of buying- it's a lot of money either way. If you find yourself thinking your day to day school life would be made easier if you had a laptop you could take out whenever you wanted, go for it. If you're getting on fine already, hold off until you find yourself needing something and then you can buy whatever suits those needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    I'm in year 13 and have never needed to use a tablet or laptop at college. It's your choice, but all I've needed is my phone for past papers and pdf textbooks.
    i agree with this, even when i did my history coursework i used a school computer to just type it up, did everything else on my phone and on paper, you dont need one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you really need a device?
    Pen and paper is still the best at 6th form

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.