The Student Room Group

Can a several years old job screw up my career?

Hi,
I worked for a supermarket a couple of years back and I got dismissed by the end of my probationary period for a breach of health & safety and "general performance" - which wasn't as bad as was made out to be. Back then, I considered suing, because it didn't seem like a fair dismissal, but I did not do it because I did not want to go against the whole corporation.
I am applying for a job right now and I managed to get an offer from a very prestigious company. However, they said the offer is conditional on satisfactory background check. I have not had any issues in my life, except that one job (which I obviously omitted from my CV). Is it unreasonable for me to worry about it? Or is being laid off by a supermarket enough to permanently screw up your career? Should I ask them myself before they do the background check or just let them do it?

Thanks!
Reply 1
You'll be fine. It'll be a references & credit & id check. (If it is for national security clearance, you'd know.)
Reply 2
That's what I thought, but I went to the website of the company that does the check and it says it also includes employment history?
Reply 3
Original post by JJFreedam
That's what I thought, but I went to the website of the company that does the check and it says it also includes employment history?
Since it's not on your CV, how will they ever know?
Original post by J-SP
If you have omitted it from your CV, they won't have the details to ask for the references in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree
Original post by Simes
Since it's not on your CV, how will they ever know?

By doing a employment check via HMRC.
Reply 6
Original post by TwinkBoxer
By doing a employment check via HMRC.
I've never heard of that before. How does one do a check with the HMRC about why someone finished a previous job?
You'll be fine.
Original post by Simes
I've never heard of that before. How does one do a check with the HMRC about why someone finished a previous job?

Original post by J-SP
I've never heard of HMRC being approached for details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you Google 'HMRC Employment history' Mostly companies that require 5 year history check will have a clause within the application form giving permission to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending