Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am interested in politics and debates however I have heard you need to come from a wealthy family to be one as the campaigns cost quite a lot. Is it possible for a person from a working class to become one if not what are some other jobs that you can debate in? That pay enough to live it does not have to be a high paying job but not a low paying job either? If I ever could become a politician I would like to be able to have a position where I could make a difference not one from a little town but something much more then that but again I don't think its possible.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Maria1812!

Nice to hear that you've got political interests for your career!

The cost of being a politician depends, but you'll generally have to pay money for the membership of your political party (if any) and you will need to pay a deposit to stand in each election, which will be paid back to you if you achieve a certain percentage of the vote.

Whilst it is true that we unfortunately live in a society where money governs, it is usually unfavourable for politicians, particularly at above local level, to come from backgrounds which are not representative of the majority of the people: as a politician, your duty is to represent the people of the area that elected you as best you can, but if you're not as the same level of wealth as the common man, then you're going to have quite a few problems being voted to represent him if you don't know what problems he has, and it's the common people that fortunately hold the power in democracy.

So, in other words, if you're mega-rich, people will accuse you of not knowing the economic problems of society, but it has to be pointed out also that, if you're not educated, people will equally accuse you.

Many famous politicians have come from fairly working-class backgrounds, and let's remember that the Labour party is traditionally composed of much of the working class population, so there's a party which has roots in representing the common people, and the best at representing the common people is undoubtedly a common person himself

There are other jobs that require some debating asides jobs in political offices. For example, a lot of debating opportunities can be found in becoming a lawyer, a critic, a member of a pressure group or trade union, and the like. You can also work with organisations that offer people the chance to get together and debate, of course!

Hope this helped!

britishpatriot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishpatriot)
    Hi, Maria1812!

Nice to hear that you've got political interests for your career!

The cost of being a politician depends, but you'll generally have to pay money for the membership of your political party (if any) and you will need to pay a deposit to stand in each election, which will be paid back to you if you achieve a certain percentage of the vote.

Whilst it is true that we unfortunately live in a society where money governs, it is usually unfavourable for politicians, particularly at above local level, to come from backgrounds which are not representative of the majority of the people: as a politician, your duty is to represent the people of the area that elected you as best you can, but if you're not as the same level of wealth as the common man, then you're going to have quite a few problems being voted to represent him if you don't know what problems he has, and it's the common people that fortunately hold the power in democracy.

So, in other words, if you're mega-rich, people will accuse you of not knowing the economic problems of society, but it has to be pointed out also that, if you're not educated, people will equally accuse you.

Many famous politicians have come from fairly working-class backgrounds, and let's remember that the Labour party is traditionally composed of much of the working class population, so there's a party which has roots in representing the common people, and the best at representing the common people is undoubtedly a common person himself

There are other jobs that require some debating asides jobs in political offices. For example, a lot of debating opportunities can be found in becoming a lawyer, a critic, a member of a pressure group or trade union, and the like. You can also work with organisations that offer people the chance to get together and debate, of course!

Hope this helped!

britishpatriot.
    Thank you I waited for an answer for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria1812)
    Thank you I waited for an answer for a long time.
    Hehe, I know and I felt quite bad: I only joined TSR yesterday, else I'd have happily replied to it ages ago

britishpatriot.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am interested in politics and debates however I have heard you need to come from a wealthy family to be one as the campaigns cost quite a lot. Is it possible for a person from a working class to become one if not what are some other jobs that you can debate in? That pay enough to live it does not have to be a high paying job but not a low paying job either? If I ever could become a politician I would like to be able to have a position where I could make a difference not one from a little town but something much more then that but again I don't think its possible.
    It doesn't cost anything to become a politician and its a myth that you have to come from a wealthy family.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't cost anything apart from your fee to put yourself up as a candidate and political party.

What costs money is getting peoples trust.

What is your political stance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rherxh)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3CJNDHX

please complete this survey, studying political language and require some primary data,

thank you! X
    No?

Go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Doesn't cost anything apart from your fee to put yourself up as a candidate and political party.

What costs money is getting peoples trust.

What is your political stance?
    I don't have one I am jsut interested what it takes to become one if I consider getting into politics but now it is a hobby politics but if I want to know if I can ever do my hobby for a living.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.