Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to graduate with a BSc in Chemistry from the University of Birmingham. I've been thinking I'd like to go into accounting maybe but I'm not sure. I'd definitely like to work in the finance industry. Do you think it's worth getting onto a postgraduate finance course or do you think I'd be ok going in with just my Chemistry degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrw1993)
    I'm about to graduate with a BSc in Chemistry from the University of Birmingham. I've been thinking I'd like to go into accounting maybe but I'm not sure. I'd definitely like to work in the finance industry. Do you think it's worth getting onto a postgraduate finance course or do you think I'd be ok going in with just my Chemistry degree?
    Much better to get some business experience first. A masters is only the icing on the cake to show you are quite clever and can handle pressure. Maybe get an intern first? The world of business and working in an office isn't for everyone, what with all the office politics and idiot bosses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blitzkrieg15)
    Much better to get some business experience first. A masters is only the icing on the cake to show you are quite clever and can handle pressure. Maybe get an intern first? The world of business and working in an office isn't for everyone, what with all the office politics and idiot bosses.
    Yeah I'm looking into some internships but a lot seem to want penultimate year students. I was thinking it would be good to get a better understanding of the financial industry but it's probably not really necessary. Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm looking into some internships but a lot seem to want penultimate year students. I was thinking it would be good to get a better understanding of the financial industry but it's probably not really necessary. Thanks for the advice
    I'd go for an MSc in Chemistry or a related science personally, that will may you stand out in a Pharmaceutical company, plus they could still take you on for a business role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blitzkrieg15)
    I'd go for an MSc in Chemistry or a related science personally, that will may you stand out in a Pharmaceutical company, plus they could still take you on for a business role.
    Hmm I don't really want to carry on with science. I was either going to go straight into accounting or do a masters that would give me some exemptions from exams/general financial knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I don't really want to carry on with science. I was either going to go straight into accounting or do a masters that would give me some exemptions from exams/general financial knowledge.
    How about Pharmaceutical sales? Either way, a masters in finance or accounting is not needed.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a business career, you can pretty much just stay with your chemistry background, the life science sector has some opportunities (especially in sales) that can draw on that kind of background.

If you want a finance career instead, it's a bit more tricky. Then again, probably there will be plenty of people who have done it (so please, do not quote me saying "this is bull****! My uncle's cousin's nephew has got a finance job with a degree in chemistry") but finance relies a bit more on hard skills that you can learn at uni. Of course if you study at a very prestigious uni, sometimes it doesn't even matter what you have studied.

About accounting, honestly I wouldn't know as much. But if you want to undertake that route, there will be more years of study, as you'd eventually need to achieve a professional qualification (such as ACA, ACCA, and the likes) to become a chartered accountant.

I think this pretty much summarises your options. I currently am working in sales in the life sciences sector, and I could definitely use a chemistry background (and many of the senior people here do have a degree in chemistry or similar) but am undertaking an MSc Finance in September

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.