Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

advice, am i just being silly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    so I had unprotected sex twith my boyfriend a week ago and I'm already having some 'symptoms of pregnancy' I'm bloated, have discharge, tired, nauseous, and lots of mood swings. Ny periods aren't regular ( maybe three times a year) I just feel so silly and oblivious to whats going on with my body, please any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Take a pregnancy test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riyaax)
    Take a pregnancy test?
    its too early for them to pick anything up :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    Are you on the pill? When you say "unprotected", do you just mean a condom was not used but other contraception was?
    no other contraception, I know that was a stupid move on my part, but what is dont is done

ReputationRep:
    You can't get pregnancy systems after a week of having unprotected sex. You're probably just scaring yourself out and thinking about it too much.

The only thing you can do is wait a bit and take a pregnancy test to know for sure. Do you know whereabouts you were on your cycle - that might make it easier for you to work out how likely it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The only thing you can do is wait a bit and take a pregnancy test to know for sure. Do you know whereabouts you were on your cycle - that might make it easier for you to work out how likely it is.
    because I'm so irregular I have no idea, periods sort of just come and go as they please so I dont really have a set cylcle I can go off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikidyounot.)
    Monitor how you feel and wait and see until you can check- 2 weeks?- and maybe talk about it with your boyfriend, if you haven't already? Problem shared is a problem halved, and who better to share with than him.
    thats probably the best bet, I sort of talked to him about it and he told me to take a test as soon as I can, it was also nice to know that he said he will stick by my side if I am and not leave, and that he's happy for me to move in with him of needs be, and that he can support me until I finish my education (part timr obviously)....but hopefully I wont need all that support because I wont be pregnant :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _cupcake_kitten)
    no other contraception, I know that was a stupid move on my part, but what is dont is done
    It's too late for the morning after pill now and symptoms of pregnancy can show in under a month. You need to book an appointment with your GP and explain the situation, and while you are there get the pill. There is no excuse for having unprotected sex in this day and age - I'm not meaning to be cruel but come on! To put your mind at ease a little, the chances of getting pregnant in your situation are very low but you should never risk this - imagine having to go through the process of an abortion or of having a baby. It's not difficult to always have condoms nearby or to be on the pill; contraception is about as easy as it will ever get. Best of luck, everything will be fine, just pop to the GP and put your mind at ease.

ReputationRep:
    It's too late for the morning after pill now and symptoms of pregnancy can show in under a month. You need to book an appointment with your GP and explain the situation, and while you are there get the pill. There is no excuse for having unprotected sex in this day and age - I'm not meaning to be cruel but come on! To put your mind at ease a little, the chances of getting pregnant in your situation are very low but you should never risk this - imagine having to go through the process of an abortion or of having a baby. It's not difficult to always have condoms nearby or to be on the pill; contraception is about as easy as it will ever get. Best of luck, everything will be fine, just pop to the GP and put your mind at ease.
    thankyou, I totally understand, it was so stupid of me not to use protection, but what is done is done, I know I am more than likely not pregnant, but it's that one though that just takes over and it's really scary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikidyounot.)
    I don't think your judgements are really necessary at this point in time.
    I didn't make any judgements. What I did do was give sound and helpful advice that the OP needed to hear. There are about 200,000 abortions every year which is unacceptable in the 21st century. Aside from costing the taxpayer a small fortune, it's taking a life into your hands. The OP is clearly regretting what happened and just seems naturally worried; the chances are that everything will be fine, as long as mistakes aren't repeated which quickly increase the odds of pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't make any judgements. What I did do was give sound and helpful advice that the OP needed to hear. There are about 200,000 abortions every year which is unacceptable in the 21st century. Aside from costing the taxpayer a small fortune, it's taking a life into your hands. The OP is clearly regretting what happened and just seems naturally worried; the chances are that everything will be fine, as long as mistakes aren't repeated which quickly increase the odds of pregnancy.
    please no arguing it's silly, you both give good advice and reasons, one just pointing out the stupid mistake I have made, which is perfecttly reasonable

Just wondering why you didn't take Plan b after? I took it recently and it reduces chances of pregnancy by 85% + if you take it within 24 hours...in my case I just took it out of complete paranoia. We'd used condoms, but I can't take the regular pill because it gives me horrific side-effects and I was mid-cycle, so I took it just to reduce the chances even more. Might be an idea to stock up on a few if you can't take the pill, because even with condoms accidents can happen (not suggesting you use Plan B often, but I'm sure one or two occasions wouldn't hurt and definitely better than having an unwanted baby!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just wondering why you didn't take Plan b after? I took it recently and it reduces chances of pregnancy by 85% + if you take it within 24 hours...in my case I just took it out of complete paranoia. We'd used condoms, but I can't take the regular pill because it gives me horrific side-effects and I was mid-cycle, so I took it just to reduce the chances even more. Might be an idea to stock up on a few if you can't take the pill, because even with condoms accidents can happen (not suggesting you use Plan B often, but I'm sure one or two occasions wouldn't hurt and definitely better than having an unwanted baby!)
    I just didn't have any worry about being pregnant until a few days afterwards, I am going to go on the pill, I just need to go see my GP about it and yeah, I honeslty dont know what to fee l right now

ReputationRep:
    If you have a period three times a year, that means you are only ovulating up to three times a year. Usually the egg waits for about 16 hours, and if no sperm meets it in this time, the egg will die. So this means you only have up to 48 hours a year in which you are able to get pregnant in. If you only had unprotected sex once, then it seems your chances could be very low.

I doubt there is any need to panic. You will not start feeling pregnancy symptoms a week after sex. At the very minimum, pregnancy symptoms start three weeks after conception, although still is rare. As your periods are very irregular (have you got this checked out by a doctor?), it can be difficult to know when to test. Wait 2-3 weeks, and then a pregnancy test should be valid.

I don't think you need telling this, but in future be careful. Have you ever tried the pill? It can be great for troublesome, irregular periods. It's definitely something you should look into. Unprotected sex really isn't worth the risk. Me and my partner used to be so ignorant with contraception. We had unprotected sex, multiple times a week, for two months. Found out I was pregnant nearly two months ago now. It really doesn't take that many times to get pregnant. Also, my pregnancy symptoms started at three weeks (after sex/conception) which is really quite early. I wouldn't even describe morning sickness as feeling 'nauseous'. Nauseous is an understatement. It will hit you like a bus. You'll know when it's morning sickness. My boobs BLEW up and became really heavy. I got weird twinges in my uterus. Tiredness is also an understatement, more like exhaustion. I slept for a ridiculous amount of hours. I was also irritated and very snappy. It felt like my skin was crawling all the time and literally everyone annoyed me even when they weren't doing anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahava)
    If you have a period three times a year, that means you are only ovulating up to three times a year. Usually the egg waits for about 16 hours, and if no sperm meets it in this time, the egg will die. So this means you only have up to 48 hours a year in which you are able to get pregnant in. If you only had unprotected sex once, then it seems your chances could be very low.

I doubt there is any need to panic. You will not start feeling pregnancy symptoms a week after sex. At the very minimum, pregnancy symptoms start three weeks after conception, although still is rare. As your periods are very irregular (have you got this checked out by a doctor?), it can be difficult to know when to test. Wait 2-3 weeks, and then a pregnancy test should be valid.

I don't think you need telling this, but in future be careful. Have you ever tried the pill? It can be great for troublesome, irregular periods. It's definitely something you should look into. Unprotected sex really isn't worth the risk. Me and my partner used to be so ignorant with contraception. We had unprotected sex, multiple times a week, for two months. Found out I was pregnant nearly two months ago now. It really doesn't take that many times to get pregnant. Also, my pregnancy symptoms started at three weeks (after sex/conception) which is really quite early. I wouldn't even describe morning sickness as feeling 'nauseous'. Nauseous is an understatement. It will hit you like a bus. You'll know when it's morning sickness. My boobs BLEW up and became really heavy. I got weird twinges in my uterus. Tiredness is also an understatement, more like exhaustion. I slept for a ridiculous amount of hours. I was also irritated and very snappy. It felt like my skin was crawling all the time and literally everyone annoyed me even when they weren't doing anything.
    I was actually planning to see my GP about going on the pill but just didn't go in time, I had unprotected sex 7 times over the course of the weekend and I think thats wht scared me most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _cupcake_kitten)
    I was actually planning to see my GP about going on the pill but just didn't go in time, I had unprotected sex 7 times over the course of the weekend and I think thats wht scared me most
    Make sure you see your GP soon then to discuss contraception options. I think the pill could really work for you.

Well, having unprotected sex seven times isn't great. I'm not going to give you a lecture because what's done is done. And it's also too late to take the morning after pill. So like I said, you could test in two weeks using a special early pregnancy detecting test. Although waiting three weeks would be more reasonable and you could use a normal test.

I've never heard of anyone having symptoms a week after the unprotected sex. If there was an egg there waiting then around now, the embryo would start to implant in your womb. You don't get symptoms until the embryo has implanted properly and started to release HCG hormones, which it won't have done yet. If the egg was released a few days after the unprotected sex, and the sperm was waiting and caught it (sperm can live up to five days in the uterus), the embryo will be multiplying cells now but won't implant in your womb for another few days. Many fertilised eggs fail to implant in the womb, and so are released with your period.

Do not panic. Distract yourself and take it off your mind. There's still not a great chance you are going to be pregnant. If you had unprotected sex seven times over the weekend, then only about three out of those seven lots of sperm will be healthy enough to fertilise an egg. The more a man ejaculates in a day, the lower the sperm quality gets. Take a test in three weeks and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahava)
    Make sure you see your GP soon then to discuss contraception options. I think the pill could really work for you.

Well, having unprotected sex seven times isn't great. I'm not going to give you a lecture because what's done is done. And it's also too late to take the morning after pill. So like I said, you could test in two weeks using a special early pregnancy detecting test. Although waiting three weeks would be more reasonable and you could use a normal test.

I've never heard of anyone having symptoms a week after the unprotected sex. If there was an egg there waiting then around now, the embryo would start to implant in your womb. You don't get symptoms until the embryo has implanted properly and started to release HCG hormones, which it won't have done yet. If the egg was released a few days after the unprotected sex, and the sperm was waiting and caught it (sperm can live up to five days in the uterus), the embryo will be multiplying cells now but won't implant in your womb for another few days. Many fertilised eggs fail to implant in the womb, and so are released with your period.

Do not panic. Distract yourself and take it off your mind. There's still not a great chance you are going to be pregnant. If you had unprotected sex seven times over the weekend, then only about three out of those seven lots of sperm will be healthy enough to fertilise an egg. The more a man ejaculates in a day, the lower the sperm quality gets. Take a test in three weeks and go from there.
    thankyou

Hi,

Having read the post I know exactly where you are coming from. I had sex with my ex-bf with a condom, that burst so i took the emergency pill and that didn't work. It was unfortunate timing when I got pregnant and I was scared I won't lie. I told my mum and she was so supportive. She is the most incredible woman in the world and I owe all my sanity to her. If you do decide on abortion (which is what I did) it will be an extremely difficult time. You will need people around you to look after you and just be there for you as it's an incredibly emotional time. I won't lie - it is painful to have done - but it doesn't last long.

For me this was about a year ago. I am an emotional person anyway and found it difficult to deal with which is why I have counselling. It's nothing to be ashamed of and it really works. No-one will understand what you're going through unless they have personally been through it themselves.

I'm sure you're not pregnant judging by the time span between your periods, but if you are, there are options and only you can decide what's best for you. Just make sure it's what you want I wish I could have kept my baby but under the circumstances it wouldn't have been wise and it's something I always think about. Just make sure you do it for you.

It's not unacceptable at all! Unless you've been through it like I have you have absolutely no idea what it does to someone physically and mentally. If I could have had it any other way I would have kept my baby in a heartbeat but I couldn't under my circumstances. So you have no right to talk about if it's acceptable or not until you yourself have had to make that choice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.