Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I went out drinking 2 weeks ago on Monday. Having consumed many pints I proceeded to black out.

The next morning I woke up with a painful neck and about a quarter of the right side of my face being numb. There was also what seemed to be a bite mark on my neck and what I believe to be a bulging nerve.

I still have a numb face and there is still a bulging bit on my neck.

Now I don't like to annoy GPs with my partially self inflicted ailments, there is other people actually need help.

So does anyone know what I may have done to myself or have anyone suffered from something similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I went out drinking 2 weeks ago on Monday. Having consumed many pints I proceeded to black out.

The next morning I woke up with a painful neck and about a quarter of the right side of my face being numb. There was also what seemed to be a bite mark on my neck and what I believe to be a bulging nerve.

I still have a numb face and there is still a bulging bit on my neck.

Now I don't like to annoy GPs with my partially self inflicted ailments, there is other people actually need help.

So does anyone know what I may have done to myself or have anyone suffered from something similar?
    Go to the doctor for ****'s sake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebony19)
    Go to the doctor for ****'s sake
    No, I brought this injury on myself, I think.

They have bigger things to worry about than some **** wit who got too drunk and messed himself up. Also the local GP is Shropshire is crap, just terrible at everything.

ReputationRep:
    No, I brought this injury on myself, I think.

They have bigger things to worry about than some **** wit who got too drunk and messed himself up. Also the local GP is Shropshire is crap, just terrible at everything.
    Whatever the reason is you still need to see a medical professional you don't know what that bulge is whether you inflicted it or not it could be serious so get to the doctor or call 111

ReputationRep:
    could be an approaching stroke (srs)

We are not medical practitioners, please see GP.

ReputationRep:
    Any cognitive symptoms?
    If not, prob just trauma to facial nerve.
    I would see doc as its been a while
    PS complete guess on my part!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    could be an approaching stroke (srs)

We are not medical practitioners, please see GP.
    I thought a stroke was the left side of the face?

I very rarely see a doctor about anything, I don't particularly trust them. I would rather seek the opinion of a medical student as they may have recently studied the topic in question and actually understand more than your average GP who is generally useless at neck related issues.

(Original post by hellodave5)
    Any cognitive symptoms?
    At least you have some sound and coherent answers to the issue at question. Sure they are your own opinion, but that is what I'm looking for.

I'm not going to a doctor or medical professional till after at the very least a month has passed. If it hasn't gone away by then it may actually be serious.

ReputationRep:
    I thought a stroke was the left side of the face?

I very rarely see a doctor about anything, I don't particularly trust them. I would rather seek the opinion of a medical student as they may have recently studied the topic in question and actually understand more than your average GP who is generally useless at neck related issues.

At least you have some sound and coherent answers to the issue at question. Sure they are your own opinion, but that is what I'm looking for.

I'm not going to a doctor or medical professional till after at the very least a month has passed. If it hasn't gone away by then it may actually be serious.
    A stroke can affect either side of the face, or neither in fact. But I very much doubt that is even vaguely related to a stroke, unless you happen to be one of the rare few hypertensive 75 year-olds that browse TSR.

Also, I think you would be a bit nuts to trust a medical student over a GP who probably graduated from medical school decades ago. Sure, a medical student might be more in touch with the nuances of the latest xyz guidelines, but I would trust a GP.

(Original post by hellodave5)
    Any cognitive symptoms?
    Come on now, MSc neuro! The facial nerve supplies sensation to where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    A stroke can affect either side of the face, or neither in fact. But I very much doubt that is even vaguely related to a stroke, unless you happen to be one of the rare few hypertensive 75 year-olds that browse TSR.

Also, I think you would be a bit nuts to trust a medical student over a GP who probably graduated from medical school decades ago. Sure, a medical student might be more in touch with the nuances of the latest xyz guidelines, but I would trust a GP.

Come on now, MSc neuro! The facial nerve supplies sensation to where?
    Thanks for pointing out my ignorance :P (just started the MSc! not yet earned those letters lol).

...Tastey!
    Wrong nerve, aye. Like I said, a guess

I just remembered reading in the clinical med handbook that sensory loss to a quadrant of the face tended to be disruption of a specific corresponding set of nerves ?
    May be totally wrong - memory isn't perfect, and I'm a student that hasn't formally learned this stuff yet!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.