Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

my boyfriends depression has flared up watch

my boyfriend has depression. i have stuck by his side the whole time and have always been there for him whenever he needed to talk. it was a really hard few months i was so close to ending the relationship but never did because the idea of not having him in my life is heart breaking. i love him so much and he is a huge part of my life. recently his depression has flared up again, its especially hard as he says stuff he says i should take any notice of but its hard. i know he needs his space, i know not to push him, i have read up on this and i have read all there is and read the forums but its such an uneasy feeling as i know i seem to love him and he can't feel as much for me as i do for him even though he's said it in the past. I'm battling with how to help him and what to do, its hard being the one who wants to talk and making the only one to make the effort & feel they don't want to talk to you, you feel like maybe they don't like you anymore. Its hard to explain but its the most heart breaking thing not being able to help the one you love as well as knowing you're the one who cares the most and who will feel the pain more, i can't explain it, i don't know what to do, I'm so confused about everything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear about the situation. Have you tried any advice hotlines? They can be extremely helpful! I was in a relationship where my partner suffered from mild depression and speaking with trained staff definately helps. Not that they can necessarily completely solve the issue, but certainly help to cope. Encouraging dialogue between you two is also something they can help with, as it seems this could be beneficial. Ultimately you're not alone and there's plenty of people here to help both on TSR and within dedicated organisations. It sounds like what you have is worth fighting for, and so I wish you luck! X

ReputationRep:
    I have been in that position. Your right sometimes he does need space, but so do you. Maybe spend a night or 2 separately if you don't already so he can spend time with family or friends and you can do the same. He needs your support but you must also remember you own mental health is important. Spend some time on your own have a bath or shower, read a book watch a movie just so you can relax as well. You are not alone many people are in the same boat as you, if you need to talk there are various online forums or services you can use, or even just talk to your own family and friends. Hope your ok x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.