The Student Room Group

Choosing between offers??

Hi everyone. I got an offer from Cambridge through the pool last week (2 weeks ago?) for Economics. I also just got an offer from Bath for Accounting and Finance and am waiting on Cass (Banking and International Finance) and LSE (Accounting and Finance) to reply. I received a rejection from LSE for Economics. ANyway my question is: would I be crazy to turn down Cambridge and go elsewhere? My plan is to do investment banking after I graduate. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by redghost1234
Hi everyone. I got an offer from Cambridge through the pool last week (2 weeks ago?) for Economics. I also just got an offer from Bath for Accounting and Finance and am waiting on Cass (Banking and International Finance) and LSE (Accounting and Finance) to reply. I received a rejection from LSE for Economics. ANyway my question is: would I be crazy to turn down Cambridge and go elsewhere? My plan is to do investment banking after I graduate. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Why don't you want to accept the Cambridge offer? I don't think you would be crazy at all though. You have to choose the university that is the best fit for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
No? Have you been to any open days? Looked around the campus etc?

I would go to Cambridge anyways. The name itself gets you an interview on the spot after graduation.
Cambridge for Economics. Because no university or course can guarantee you a job in IB, not even LSE. There's lots more to it than just the name and course of the university even though it may help open doors. Go Cambridge and do also the little things LSE students do to position themselves as preferred candidates like leadership positions in career societies to demonstrate interest and potential. Cambridge Economics have a longer lasting impact on your future, imo.
Lots of advice here about choosing Firm and Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

Just remember that you do not have to make an immediate decision about this - you have MONTHS to decide and no-one is going to take any of your offers away in the meantime.
Original post by sydneybridge
Lots of advice here about choosing Firm and Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

Just remember that you do not have to make an immediate decision about this - you have MONTHS to decide and no-one is going to take any of your offers away in the meantime.

THIS

If you're struggling to decide then get in touch with your unis (including cambridge) and ask them if they can put you in touch with final year students/recent graduates from your course with a similar career goal. THOSE are the people who can give you proper insight into whether the university they went to or their other activities had the most influence on getting job offers.
x

For IB, you would be an idiot to turn down Cambridge Econ.

I study at Cass IFRM and have an offer at a BB, however we are less represented at the top firms in comparison to Oxbridge students.
Original post by ALT94
No? Have you been to any open days? Looked around the campus etc?

I would go to Cambridge anyways. The name itself gets you an interview on the spot after graduation.

Just no. You have no idea about how the IB recruitment process works. I have friends at Oxbridge, who have recieved 0 interviews even. There's so much more needed than a university name. That being said, Oxbridge students have a substantially higher chance than someone at a non-target university.

Top BB/Boutique banking recruitment isn't a joke.
Thanks for all the insight. I think my current plan is to wait and see if the other two offer and then go visit campuses and decide.
Thanks for all the insight. I think my current plan is to wait and see if the other two offer and then go visit campuses and decide.

The other important thing to think carefully about is this :

Both Oxford and CAmbridge have shorter, more intensive teaching terms. This sort of mega-high-pressure suits some people, but not others, and this has nothing to do with intellect.

If you would rather have longer teaching terms and therefore more time to actually absorb and reflect upon what you are studying, think carefully about whether or not Oxbridge is for you. The burn out rate from Oxbridge is high (whatever they tell you) and despite assumptions, there are more unemployed Oxbridge graduates every year than from RG and 'other' Universities.

Your idea about visits is an excellent one - go on an ordinary working day and you'll get an idea of the real atmosphere/tone of each Uni in a way you'd never get with all the hype of a conventional Open Day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending