The Student Room Group

Saudi King Abdullah passes away

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lol
One person cannot change a country, but they could at least attempt to. This man did nothing for his people, it is enough to make me hope there is a hell, so people like this man may be punished for their crimes.
The last king ascended the throne aged 80, the new one is 79 years old. A country run from the geriatric ward ...
For the Muslims that are talking ****, you guys do know you're not supposed to talk ill of the dead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippity.doodah
the "next son"? not the eldest? but how is "the next son" not the eldest?

It's a bit complicated - I suggest your just check out the Wikipedia article 'Succession to the Saudi Arabian throne'. The throne used to be passed to the next surviving son of the first king, Abdulaziz (Ibn Saud). But they're currently running out of supply of sons, so in 2006 a council was installed to rule on succession matters.
Typical TSR focus only on his drawback and failures. He did plenty of good in this world as well.

It was at the King's request the Suadi Blogger's lashings were put to a halt. For Gaza, Saudi has pledged about USD 60m as financial aid during 2014.

People who break the law should be punished. If you are dumb enough to get caught with stealing when you know full well your hands will be cut off... well the blame is really on the country?

May his soul rest in peace.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
Typical TSR focus only on his drawback and failures. He did plenty of good in this world as well.

It was at the King's request the Suadi Blogger's lashings were put to a halt. For Gaza, Saudi has pledged about USD 60m as financial aid during 2014.

People who break the law should be punished. If you are dumb enough to get caught with stealing when you know full well your hands will be cut off... well the blame is really on the country?

May his soul rest in peace.

So in all that time his achievement was halting lashes (not abolishing the practice, or even removing the sentence, just halting), and pledging finance to a terrorist state? Nice one.
Original post by jakeel1
So in all that time his achievement was halting lashes (not abolishing the practice, or even removing the sentence, just halting), and pledging finance to a terrorist state? Nice one.

If you are a criminal you deserve to be punished. I'm not going to bother about your "terrorist state" comment. Disgusting post (N)
Dam. As much as I despise the man as a dictator, id much rather Saudi stayed stable.
Original post by -Rainbow Drops-
For the Muslims that are talking ****, you guys do know you're not supposed to talk ill of the dead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you are allowed to talk Ill, if there is a consensus with valid proof and evidence that a certain individual was a dictator, a murderer, a brute - like Hitler for example.

So long as you speak truth and condemn the oppressors.
Why are people calling him a dictator? He was a monarch, monarchies are generally absolute. The European way doesn't apply to Saudi or the Middle East in general.

Abdullah was a moderniser and friend of the UK, he helped bring peace to the Middle East.
Original post by tehFrance
He was a monarch, monarchies are generally absolute.

Um ... no. The majority of monarchies aren't absolute any more but constitutional, very few total ones are left..

Abdullah was a moderniser and friend of the UK, he helped bring peace to the Middle East.

That's a good one :biggrin: Abdullah sent tanks into Bahrain to suppress the democratic movement there. Saudi Arabia has also been funding numerous terror organisations and conflicts all over the middle east, most recently ISIL. How this is supposed to bring peace to the region is beyond my capabilities of comprehension.

His tiny reforms such as allowing women to vote (on what exactly - it's an absolute monarchy!) are a mere drop in the bucket that is one of the worst dictatorial regimes on the planet, and a significant part of them were merely spurred by fear of being the next country in line for the Arab spring to arrive.
Reply 32
Original post by Olie
Oh and you couldn't make it up, the head of the IMF apparently has described him as a 'strong advocate of women' :facepalm:

He was by the standards of Saudi Arabia. Which is pretty damn depressing.
Original post by missfats
Good for you.

Wow, you really told him :rolleyes:
Original post by Lady Comstock
Err, no - Saudi has a different form of succession to most monarchies. The crown passes to the next brother, rather than the eldest son of the monarch.

Kind of. Up until now, the Kings have been the sons of King Abdulaziz. And of course there was a coup by King Faisal in the 1960s, though Faisal was later assassinated (the original king was not rethroned).

Due to the aging of the sons of King Abdulaziz, the new King Salman's younger brothers have been passed over in favour of Prince Muqurin, who was chosen by the Allegiance Council (a council of 28 senior princes).

According to Wikipedia, a Crown Prince shall be chosen by secret ballot according to the following criteria

This, along with an earlier decree by King Fahd, has opened the possibility of considering Abdul-Aziz's grandsons as viable candidates. Beyond age, the criteria for selection include:

Support within the Al Saud

Tenure in government

Tribal affiliations and origins of a candidate's mother

Religious persona

Acceptance by the Ulema

Support by the merchant community

Popularity among the general Saudi citizenry

King Salman's younger brother, Prince Nayef, who ordinarily would have been next in line has been named Deputy Crown Prince.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thunder_chunky
I saw a tweet this morning calling him a 'gradual moderniser. ' Even if such a thing were possible in Saudi, it wouldn't be the king. I just find it hard to believe.

I don't give a **** that this man is dead, and I don't think it's irrational to believe his successor will any less of a chode.

Original post by Olie
While obviously I see why figures like Cameron have said what they've said following his death, I still couldn't help but feel a little angry at some of the 'tributes' and ridiculous words being thrown around, 'moderniser', 'reformer', 'keeper of the peace' etc etc, when this is the leader of one of the most oppressive, brutal, barbaric regimes in the world, a country that doesn't allow women to drive, a country where homosexuality is punishable by death and of course a country that dishes out outrageous punishments to anyone even daring to speak out as we've seen recently with that Saudi blogger. So needless to say, I won't be shedding any tears at this news or 'honouring' his death.

Original post by Olie
Oh and you couldn't make it up, the head of the IMF apparently has described him as a 'strong advocate of women' :facepalm:

Original post by jakeel1
One person cannot change a country, but they could at least attempt to. This man did nothing for his people, it is enough to make me hope there is a hell, so people like this man may be punished for their crimes.

you guys have absolutely no idea how much saudi arabia changed under his rule...

it is because you have not seen the saudi arabia of today. saudis are alot more open minded and modern than you think they are. And that's all happened under this guy's rule.
Original post by Sir Fox
Um ... no. The majority of monarchies aren't absolute any more but constitutional, very few total ones are left..

That's a good one :biggrin: Abdullah sent tanks into Bahrain to suppress the democratic movement there. Saudi Arabia has also been funding numerous terror organisations and conflicts all over the middle east, most recently ISIL. How this is supposed to bring peace to the region is beyond my capabilities of comprehension.

His tiny reforms such as allowing women to vote (on what exactly - it's an absolute monarchy!) are a mere drop in the bucket that is one of the worst dictatorial regimes on the planet, and a significant part of them were merely spurred by fear of being the next country in line for the Arab spring to arrive.

In the West not ME.

So, that was at the behest of the Bahrain government. Qatar sponsors IS not Saudi, Saudi actively fights IS like much of the GCC, that said I'm sure there are some Saudi donators.

It may be a mere drop in the bucket for you but for Saudi Arabia, that's reform.
Original post by zedeneye1
you guys have absolutely no idea how much saudi arabia changed under his rule...

it is because you have not seen the saudi arabia of today. saudis are alot more open minded and modern than you think they are. And that's all happened under this guy's rule.

Uh huh....sure.
Original post by Tawheed
Yes you are allowed to talk Ill, if there is a consensus with valid proof and evidence that a certain individual was a dictator, a murderer, a brute - like Hitler for example.

So long as you speak truth and condemn the oppressors.

He's dead. Hell get punished for his sins in the grave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zedeneye1

They modernised beheadings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending