The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeMc
Any advice for a failed Accounting student

Nothing is for nothing. Every experience and all knowledge gained will be useful for something in the future.

Try and find something you love and feel passionate about, steer yourself in that direction. You'll be happy, enthusiastic and will excel.
Reply 161
I was a great student in high school. When i left my country and went to the states for my bachelor degree i just want to be irresponsible and be free so i basically ruin my bachelor degree. My cgpa isn’t good. I graduated but just barely made it and now i still has student debt left with the university which is why they hold my certificate. Now 5 years later, i want to redeem myself but i just don’t know what is the way out.
I am 75 years old. When I left school with 7 GCE's and a pet dinosaur, the object from my Mum was get out and bring money in. So I got a job within a couple of days as a filing clerk and at that level I would have stayed if I had not been introduced to someone leaving their bookkeeping job who taught me how to do it in a couple of months. When I eventually left my well paying job I
Original post by neverlosehope
Hi All,

This post is going to be part informative, part humble brag, partly me getting something off of my chest that I have NEVER told anyone, but mostly me showing you that there's always hope.

I went to a very mediocre university, I studied computing with business, I passed the first year and got all 50% grades, I passed the second year with grades from 40% to 60%. I failed the final year, I handed in no coursework, I missed all of the exams and I only wrote 320 words of my planned 10,000 word dissertation.

Fast forward 4 years and I'm a manager at a very well known business consultancy firm earning £77,000 per year (excluding bonus which is up to 20%).

How did I do this? Experience and confidence.

When I was in my third, I took a year out to do a placement. The placement was with a very well known management consultancy. At the time, I was predicted to get a 3rd and they required a predicted 2:1. I got my tutor to write me an awesome letter of recommendation and I was very confident in my interviews plus I had done a significant amount of research and preparation before the 4 round interview process.

I was incredibly excited when I got the placement offer. The experience I gained in that one year set me up for life.

When I failed me degree (saw it coming a long way off), I became depressed, I could no longer take the job offer from the management consultancy as they required a 2:1. Luckily for me, I'd picked up some wicked software development skills over the previous few years, I used my experience at the management consultancy plus my software development skills to get myself a 30k job straight after failing my degree.

During the interview, my failed degree was never talked about even though I had is listed on my CV. It was listed as a Diploma of Higher Education (that's what you get when you only pass two years of your degree).

After being at this job for 2 years. I looked for a higher paying job and got a 46k offer at another software company. Again, they did not questions my education. They only cared about my experience.

Rinse and repeat this process until the current day. I applied for a managers job at a very well known consultancy. They accepted me based on my experience. This was also the first time my education was ever questioned. I explained that I did not complete my degree for various reasons (I did not lie). They mainly cared about my experience and what I could bring to the clients I would be working with.

I'm now a manager earning 77k.

It's funny when I look at other people from my Uni who actually got their degree. Most of them are still far more junior than me and earning a lot less than me.

This is the first time I have ever told anyone about failing my degree. Even my girlfriend (recently broken up) and parents don't know.

This is not supposed to be a 100% brag. It's supposed to be showing you that no matter how ****ed you are right now, you can recover if you are smart about it. Don't seek advice from the average person, that person can only give you average advice.

One more thing, I've been in debt (over 4k) twice and both times managed to pay it off (long before earning a good salary) but that's a story for another day.

I have never lied, I have never cheated, I am a smart guy and I'm actually very good at what I do (which is why I get paid well). My experience speaks for itself and my education has been explained to my employer (and countless recruiters). Experience and ability trump everything (well, most things).

Don't lose hope and.... ask me anything...

(please excuse any typos, I typed this on a tablet).

Idk if this thread's still active, but...here I go. I'm in my final year and I'm studying Computer Science. My parents forced me to do this degree as they believed I will never get anywhere in life. They chose my A levels too because they believed that I am incompetent. I am severely depressed. I HATE my degree. I never want to code ever again. It feels like I keep falling. Every time I try to stand, I just fall back down. Idk how to overcome this. I really need some advice. How do I stop feeling depressed so I can do the work even though I hate it?
I just failed uni you might as well make me work for you
Hi Mister,

I worked damn hard on my final year at Leeds, but got accused for lying in my dissertation. They failed me, even though I gave them the proof my work was all real!

Your story's inspired me, I'm gonna work towards a second UG now and get plenty of work experience while I do it.

Thanks!

Hi All,

This post is going to be part informative, part humble brag, partly me getting something off of my chest that I have NEVER told anyone, but mostly me showing you that there's always hope.

I went to a very mediocre university, I studied computing with business, I passed the first year and got all 50% grades, I passed the second year with grades from 40% to 60%. I failed the final year, I handed in no coursework, I missed all of the exams and I only wrote 320 words of my planned 10,000 word dissertation.

Fast forward 4 years and I'm a manager at a very well known business consultancy firm earning £77,000 per year (excluding bonus which is up to 20%).

When I was in my third, I took a year out to do a placement. The placement was with a very well known management consultancy. At the time, I was predicted to get a 3rd and they required a predicted 2:1. I got my tutor to write me an awesome letter of recommendation and I was very confident in my interviews plus I had done a significant amount of research and preparation before the 4 round interview process.

I was incredibly excited when I got the placement offer. The experience I gained in that one year set me up for life.

When I failed me degree (saw it coming a long way off), I became depressed, I could no longer take the job offer from the management consultancy as they required a 2:1. Luckily for me, I'd picked up some wicked software development skills over the previous few years, I used my experience at the management consultancy plus my software development skills to get myself a 30k job straight after failing my degree.

During the interview, my failed degree was never talked about even though I had is listed on my CV. It was listed as a Diploma of Higher Education (that's what you get when you only pass two years of your degree).

After being at this job for 2 years. I looked for a higher paying job and got a 46k offer at another software company. Again, they did not questions my education. They only cared about my experience.

Rinse and repeat this process until the current day. I applied for a managers job at a very well known consultancy. They accepted me based on my experience. This was also the first time my education was ever questioned. I explained that I did not complete my degree for various reasons (I did not lie). They mainly cared about my experience and what I could bring to the clients I would be working with.

It's funny when I look at other people from my Uni who actually got their degree. Most of them are still far more junior than me and earning a lot less than me.

This is the first time I have ever told anyone about failing my degree. Even my girlfriend (recently broken up) and parents don't know.

This is not supposed to be a 100% brag. It's supposed to be showing you that no matter how ****ed you are right now, you can recover if you are smart about it. Don't seek advice from the average person, that person can only give you average advice.

One more thing, I've been in debt (over 4k) twice and both times managed to pay it off (long before earning a good salary) but that's a story for another day.

I have never lied, I have never cheated, I am a smart guy and I'm actually very good at what I do (which is why I get paid well). My experience speaks for itself and my education has been explained to my employer (and countless recruiters). Experience and ability trump everything (well, most things).

Reply 166
Original post by Annie ouo
Hi Mister,

I worked damn hard on my final year at Leeds, but got accused for lying in my dissertation. They failed me, even though I gave them the proof my work was all real!

Your story's inspired me, I'm gonna work towards a second UG now and get plenty of work experience while I do it.

Thanks!

Second or third?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=91451054&highlight=
This didn't happen I call troll
Hi All,

Nice share, thanks. :smile: It's important to realise that there's a bigger picture than uni and marks. Yes, it's great to be successful but once you get that 1st job your uni experience is never a big thing any more, it's about experience and hard work.

It'll be my third degree now. The MSc I failed is down the drain.
It'll be my third degree now. The MSc I failed is down the drain.

Hi Mister,

Thanks!

Wow, I thought I was the only one wronged by Leeds! I did a BA in Education, got accused of Malpractice because I had more participants in my study than they thought I'd get. Failed after the hearing. But... I applied for a BSc Psychology degree at KCL sometime in January for safe measures, I knew there was something up with my dissertation supervisor, she was always trying to show me my work was wrong.

I'm glad I did that, i have something to fall back on now, hopefully, KCL won't wrong me. And the University of Leeds is overrated. Especially the school of education.
Original post by AriDoesntCare
Wow, I thought I was the only one wronged by Leeds! I did a BA in Education, got accused of Malpractice because I had more participants in my study than they thought I'd get. Failed after the hearing. But... I applied for a BSc Psychology degree at KCL sometime in January for safe measures, I knew there was something up with my dissertation supervisor, she was always trying to show me my work was wrong.

I'm glad I did that, i have something to fall back on now, hopefully, KCL won't wrong me. And the University of Leeds is overrated. Especially the school of education.

I feel ya. Must have been hard to fail after working hard for three years. The School of Education was rubbish. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to move away from it and tried to do a Psychology PG degree (only to flunk it at the end), don't give up on your journey and get plenty of work experience!
Hi just got an amazing job offer but I’m afraid they will do pre employment screening to find out I don’t have my degree. I failed my degree and have worked in marketing more than 10 years. What can I do?
Reply 173
Original post by Windgirl
Hi just got an amazing job offer but I’m afraid they will do pre employment screening to find out I don’t have my degree. I failed my degree and have worked in marketing more than 10 years. What can I do?

Apply for jobs without a requirement of a degree?
Hi, Thanks for sharing very inspirirational and motivating. I spent 4 years studying accounting and finance, and did not graduate. I am now stuck and quite lost in what to do or which way to go. I have developed various skills along the way but unsure on what type of jobs will take me on board. any advice, thanks :smile:
Original post by meeeetuzas
Hi, Thanks for sharing very inspirirational and motivating. I spent 4 years studying accounting and finance, and did not graduate. I am now stuck and quite lost in what to do or which way to go. I have developed various skills along the way but unsure on what type of jobs will take me on board. any advice, thanks :smile:

What do you want to be when you grow up?
Original post by TornadoGR4
This mother earns £2000 a week from home! - Find out how

Weirdly this 6 year old post is exactly what I had in my head when I read the OP.
Anyone can and often does go on the Internet to tell lies, even well crafted lies.

Latest

Trending

Trending