Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Real Madrid top footie rich list for 10th year: which club would you play for? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30896253

Is Real Madrid the most desirable club to play for? Which club would you choose to play for?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Yeah Real Madrid have been impressive and are definitely currently the most elite out there. They splash out a huge amount of cash for the services of players but are still able to bring in large amounts of revenue, they're a global brand. Entertain many with good football.

We're 8th globally and 4th nationally (Don't bother with the 'forever 4th' jokes :lol: ) in the rich list. Ngl though we'd be bringing in a bit more than that but it isn't bad at all, can only see us going up. Nice stats for English clubs in its entity.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if I was a footballer I would be more than content whoring it out on Chelsea's bench , then getting loaned out to some obscure German club and fluking a DFB-Pokal.

ReputationRep:
    If I could play for anyone?

It would be easy for me to say I'd want to spend my entire career at Leeds Utd, but if you're good enough you'll certainly play for a better performing club. Giggs & Gerrard are loyal, but not for one second would they have stayed at their respective clubs if they went through difficulties & ended up relegated.

As far as Premier League teams goes, I really don't know, I don't have an affinity to any Prem team, perhaps Newcastle because of their fan support. I don't think I'd want to play abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Unrealistically: Man United
    Realistically: Harrogate Town

ReputationRep:
    Whoever would pay me the biggest and fattest contract.

Basically I want to be Anderson

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a pointless question no offence, as we all pretty much have emotional ties to clubs already so we'll just say the teams we support. For example I'd play for Villa for a fraction of what Real Madrid would pay even if it meant winning nothing vs winning European Cups and Spanish trophies.

After Villa, preferred destination would be abroad to either Spain or Portugal in Europe or Argentina/South America. Of the clubs in that top 10, Real Madrid I guess.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't believe for one second that City are legitimately ahead of Chelsea & Arsenal, and that their revenue has increased substantially over the past 12 months. UEFA should really look into all their inflated sponsorship deals.

We'll be top of that list in 2 years once the collective La Liga deal & Adidas kit deal kicks in. I always hate seeing these turnover figures, because it shows what our club is capable of if we didn't have those American parasites taking so much money out of the club. We should be capable of spending £150m every summer just like Real Madrid, so it takes the piss that we're playing Valencia, Smalling, Evans in defence.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal will be ahead of Chelsea next season, Puma/Emirates will give a £50m net boost and we should make the CL QF at least which is worth another £8m or thereabouts compared with our usual RO16 payment. Think Arsenal have also been busy behind the scenes getting our commercial side back up to scratch, noticed we've signed lots of mini-sponsor deals over the past year. Official noodle partner kind of crap that Utd have been rinsing for years.

Assuming Chelsea adhere to FFP, Arsenal ought to have the higher financial muscle in the transfer market for the first time since 2004.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I don't believe for one second that City are legitimately ahead of Chelsea & Arsenal, and that their revenue has increased substantially over the past 12 months. UEFA should really look into all their inflated sponsorship deals.
    It's *******s, PSG as well.

They can't even sell out their ground ffs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Arsenal will be ahead of Chelsea next season, Puma/Emirates will give a £50m net boost and we should make the CL QF at least which is worth another £8m or thereabouts compared with our usual RO16 payment. Think Arsenal have also been busy behind the scenes getting our commercial side back up to scratch, noticed we've signed lots of mini-sponsor deals over the past year. Official noodle partner kind of crap that Utd have been rinsing for years.

Assuming Chelsea adhere to FFP, Arsenal ought to have the higher financial muscle in the transfer market for the first time since 2004.
    We now have a ''social games partner'' as well Whatever the hell that means. For all their money, Chelsea & City will never have the global appeal of United, Arsenal and Liverpool. Liverpool really should be in the same league as United are finance wise, as they were in prime position when the Sky era started and didn't really take advantage.

Wouldn't say Chelsea are going to be affected by FFP at all considering they can just sell their 7583256834287532 loan players. Whoever does their negotiations is an absolute genius to get such high fees consistently.

ReputationRep:
    Wolves obvs, probably be the missing piece of the puzzle and the new Billy Wright to boot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    We now have a ''social games partner'' as well Whatever the hell that means. For all their money, Chelsea & City will never have the global appeal of United, Arsenal and Liverpool. Liverpool really should be in the same league as United are finance wise, as they were in prime position when the Sky era started and didn't really take advantage.

Wouldn't say Chelsea are going to be affected by FFP at all considering they can just sell their 7583256834287532 loan players. Whoever does their negotiations is an absolute genius to get such high fees consistently.
    Yeah Utd are absolutely brilliant at all that, you lot had offices in the City when Arsenal up the road were still chuffed to get a cheque from Carlsberg for the half time lager :laugh:

Utd have first mover advantage in that you made hay in the 90s/00s and that becomes self sustaining whereas Liverpool missed the boat. Arsenal meanwhile can sell £1000 season tickets and £1m executive boxes to City bankers until the cows come home. Liverpool sort of stuck in the middle I guess, hard for them to compete financially with any of the other big 4.

Chelsea havent got that many loan players worth selling though? Lukaku/KDB was sort of a happy accident that Mourinho inherited, and he obviously has no interest in young players at all. After Salah I cant see too many other youngsters worth selling for big bucks. The guys they have in Holland are mostly dross that wont fetch more than £3m each really for instance.

Think Roman will have lost a few quid over the last year or so in Russia as well so their spending might not be what it once was really.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Yeah Utd are absolutely brilliant at all that, you lot had offices in the City when Arsenal up the road were still chuffed to get a cheque from Carlsberg for the half time lager :laugh:

Utd have first mover advantage in that you made hay in the 90s/00s and that becomes self sustaining whereas Liverpool missed the boat. Arsenal meanwhile can sell £1000 season tickets and £1m executive boxes to City bankers until the cows come home. Liverpool sort of stuck in the middle I guess, hard for them to compete financially with any of the other big 4.

Chelsea havent got that many loan players worth selling though? Lukaku/KDB was sort of a happy accident that Mourinho inherited, and he obviously has no interest in young players at all. After Salah I cant see too many other youngsters worth selling for big bucks. The guys they have in Holland are mostly dross that wont fetch more than £3m each really for instance.

Think Roman will have lost a few quid over the last year or so in Russia as well so their spending might not be what it once was really.
    Schurrle, Cech, Salah would all fetch good fees, out of the loan players they should get a good amount for Bertrand, Moses, Chalobah and MVG. Not quite Mata, Luiz, Lukaku numbers but still a healthy amount. Haven't Chelsea reached the stage where they're self sustaining anyway? Roman isn't pouring hundreds of millions into the club anymore as he was in 2004.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Schurrle, Cech, Salah would all fetch good fees, out of the loan players they should get a good amount for Bertrand, Moses, Chalobah and MVG. Not quite Mata, Luiz, Lukaku numbers but still a healthy amount. Haven't Chelsea reached the stage where they're self sustaining anyway? Roman isn't pouring hundreds of millions into the club anymore as he was in 2004.
    Yeah but Schurrle would have to be replaced with all or more of that revenue. MVG/Moses/Bertrand together wouldnt fund one typical Chelsea signing tbh.

Yeah Chelsea have obviously reached a sustainable level with similar revenues to Arsenal, but the days when they bullied others with Roman's dosh are probably gone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A lot of it comes down to cities imo.

Obviously, I have emotional ties to Liverpool so I'd always choose them - but, based on abroad clubs, I'd have to take into account living conditions.

I'd rather live in Monaco than Paris, for instance, so I'd likely opt for them over PSG.

ReputationRep:
    Monaco is a good shout. ^

Not convinced I'd want to play for Newcastle to be honest.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by scriggy)
    Monaco is a good shout. ^

Not convinced I'd want to play for Newcastle to be honest.
    Or New York Red bulls

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 23, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.