Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been in a relationship for nearly a year and I keep saying I think I should lose some weight and now I'm finally trying to do it. But my boyfriend would keep saying "you always say you're going to lose weight but you never do anything about it" every time I mentioned it. And now he's said "I mean this in the most respectful way but I think you need to lose some weight"

I'm mortified and don't know how to respond to this. Losing weight has always been difficult for me and this only insults me rather than encourages me. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    You should lose weight. Eat less food. Cut out the junk, cut out the sugar, eat clean. Just do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need to lose some weight off of that font of yours.

ReputationRep:
    Do it for you, not for others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kmallinson1)
    Losing weight has always been difficult for me
    In what way? Losing weight is really, really simple. Eet less calories than you burn, and you will lose weight, FACT.

The hard part is keeping that commitment. If this is the problem you encounter then nobody can help you with that...you need to decide for yourself that you are going to do it and STICK to it.

ReputationRep:
    He's done nothing wrong.

You either need to tell him your not going to or attempt to exercise and eat healthily. Don't try any female magazine fad diets though.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to lose weight then do but with two caveats:
    1. Most importantly, do it for you.
    2. Do so within healthy ranges. No going anorexic or developing various eating disorders.

Just eat a good balance of all foods, eat less, and move more

Also: go by feel not the numbers of the scales. They're good to know you're progressing but people get obsessed with them.

ReputationRep:
    THE most irritating thing is people who say they're going to lose weight and don't try, or do it for a month and then stop for some unknown reason. I'm not fat and I do a lot of sport but I use an app on my phone called nutra check. It allows you to REALLY EASILY keep track of how many calories you eat per day and actually tells you how many to eat to lose a certain amount of weight per week. But you also need to exercise too. Just put your mind to it and accept that you will feel hungry, but its not going to kill you to feel hungry. because thats the only way your stomach will shrink to allow you to feel full having eaten less. Willpower!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ask at a gym or nutritionalist

ReputationRep:
    If you're perfectly able bodied and able to exercise and have no extenuating circumstances then you should just look at motivating Twitter accounts and stuff, they do actually work. I can only stand up for 10 minutes at a time due to injury and used to run 2 half marathons per week, so losing weight is difficult for me too.

ReputationRep:
    I think many people here are being rude to you. Just because they find it easy to lose or maintain their weight, doesn't mean its as easy for other people. For many, its not just a simple and easy choice to eat less/exercise more, nor is not doing that always an example of a greedy or lazy person. Many people have psychological relationships with food/their weight/etc which makes it a lot harder than just "a bit of willpower" to change, otherwise they would have changed years ago. For some people, it can be an emotional addiction.

To reply to you OP, if you are unhappy with your weight and would like to lose weight, the support of your boyfriend could be very useful and although it might not be as easy as others are suggesting to you, with support it definitely can be done and you may be a much happier person for it.

If you felt as if your boyfriend was being insulting or you don't like his negative attitude towards your prior weightloss attempts or ambitions, tell him so. Explain to him how you feel. Tell him you would like to lose weight but would appreciate his genuine support not his defeatist attitude.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Get some exercise :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Tell him it insults you and if he cares about you, he'll stop (or at least find a different way to try and help or encourage you). I know from experienced that losing weight because other people say stuff is incredibly unhealthy and will only lead to endless eating disorders and self esteem issues so make sure you're always doing it for positive reasons. Concentrate on being happy and healthy and then you'll lose weight properly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    make him help you! Instead of watching a movie together, go for a walk, jog whatever.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.