username459260
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I've come across the concept dominant negative mutation. Please can someone explain how this differs from an autosomal dominant mutation? thanks
loukas2993
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dominant negative mutations, also known as 'antimorphic mutations' , have an altered gene product that acts antagonistically to the wild-type allele (i.e. works against the gene product of the wild-type allele). Essentially, one allele produces a mutant phenotypic effect, and a negative effect whereby it prevents or hinders a biological process. For example, take a protein dimer into consideration; if one monomer component is mutant in some functional aspect but the dimer is still able to form and function, it has a dominant affect on the wild-type allelic monomer, and a negative effect if if the negative mutation prevent the dimer from forming and/or functioning.

Hope this helps.
username459260
Rep:
?
(Original post by loukas2993)
Dominant negative mutations, also known as 'antimorphic mutations' , have an altered gene product that acts antagonistically to the wild-type allele (i.e. works against the gene product of the wild-type allele). Essentially, one allele produces a mutant phenotypic effect, and a negative effect whereby it prevents or hinders a biological process. For example, take a protein dimer into consideration; if one monomer component is mutant in some functional aspect but the dimer is still able to form and function, it has a dominant affect on the wild-type allelic monomer, and a negative effect if if the negative mutation prevent the dimer from forming and/or functioning.

Hope this helps.
I see...but isn't that exactly the same as autosomal dominant? thanks
loukas2993
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Autosomal dominant genes don't necessarily produce a negative effect, whereas dominant negative mutations do. For instance, dark brown eye colour is dominant in human's, but it isn't a negative effect.
username459260
Rep:
?
(Original post by loukas2993)
Autosomal dominant genes don't necessarily produce a negative effect, whereas dominant negative mutations do. For instance, dark brown eye colour is dominant in human's, but it isn't a negative effect.
of course...thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (2)
100%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (0)
0%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (0)
0%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads