Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am really struggling with equity and trusts and don't quite understand what i am to take from the case of Vandervell No.2.

Here is what i understand already:
    In Grey v IRC it was held that a disposition was the movement of equitable interest from one part to another, thus invoking s53(1)(c), requiring it to be made in writing. And in Vandervell No.1 it was held that where there is a movement of both legal and equitable interest together, it is not a disposition and thus is not required in writing.

What I don't understand is what Vandervell No.2 is contributing.

Please can someone explain it to me In as simplest terms as possible.

- especially the idea of the resulting trust in the option - this just throws me a bit.

Thank you soon much.

Miles.

ReputationRep:
    Re Vandervell's Trusts (No. 2) created a means of circumventing the statutory formalities required for the disposition of a subsisting equitable interest in trust property.

In layman's terms:

Suppose a Father wanted to settle 10,000 shares on 1 of his 3 children. Therefore, he intends to create an express trust and transfers the shares to his solicitors and asks them to act as trustees, holding the property on trust for one of them. The company holding the shares then registers the transfer of legal title to trustees as complete.

However, at this point he hasn't identified which child is to be the beneficiary under the trust. So, to that end, because he hasn't satisfied the certainty of objects (beneficiary) requirement, it does not constitute a valid express trust. Given that equity abhors a vacuum the property is held on resulting trust for the Father.

Now, 2 weeks later the Father then calls his solicitors and tells them he wants to transfer his equitable interest in the shares to his daughter, Jane. Thus, a new trust is created, rendering the resulting trust extinct, meaning that the Father's disposition of his equitable interest is not caught by s. 53(1)(c) LPA 1925.

So, basically, where a new trust extinguishes a resulting trust, it is not caught by the statutory formality requirements.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.