Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to a number of jobs over the past week or so, and only a couple have replied. Why do companies do this all the time? Why not just reply and let us know where we stand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigyy)
    I've applied to a number of jobs over the past week or so, and only a couple have replied. Why do companies do this all the time? Why not just reply and let us know where we stand?
    Give it time. You have only been applying for a week. Quite a few places wont have had chance to reply yet so give them chance. Some dont reply though im afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Look at it this way - if 50 people over three days offered you a job, would you reply to them all?
    Or would you find out a bit more about the ones that looked best, and ignore the others? Would you even let the ones you asked for more information about know when you decided to accept another offer?

Unless you're applying through a portal where updates are given at each stage, don't expect a repsonse, because most employers just can't be bothered to let you know they don't want you.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes companies just simply cannot be bothered to reply and let you know you were unsuccessful. But other times it does take time for companies to get back to you.

If you were contacting companies enquiring about if they are currently taking anyone one and they don't get back to you, chances are that they are not currently employing as the Christmas period is now over

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do an internship.

ReputationRep:
    Bare this is mind:

How many applications do you think companies recieve per day?

Famous, successful superstores like Tesco and Asda recieve hundreds of application on a daily basis just at a single store location. They simply don't have the time nor the desire to reply to all of them. That's why most companies send you a message saying 'If we don't reply within 5 days, assume your application has been declined' or something similar.

I personally just got a response from Build-A-Bear 2 days ago after applying a little over 2 weeks ago. And also, companies like Pizza Hut advise for you to wait for 30 days for a response. (Still haven't got one and I applied about 2-3 weeks ago) So don't always assume the worst!

What I'm trying to advise is: Be patient, sometimes jobs take a while to respond as they have to narrow down the exact best possible candidate they can for the job out of 100's-1000's of applications.

Keep your chin up and keep looking forward!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.