Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I'm in my first year of uni studying physics and I've been struggling with my mental health since the end of October/ start of November. I fell behind in my work so I went to the student support people, while I was there they put me on the phone to a counselor who told me that she would email me an appointment time that day for the following day but she never emailed me back. This was last year so since then I've applied for an appointment through the online form that they have but again I've not heard anything back from them and its been almost two months

    ..so now I have got to the point where I think its too late to catch up and I don't think I will pass my first year. I have two lab reports that were due in November which I haven't handed in and I have a computational lab report due in a couple of days, while I also had a maths exam in early January where I could only answer one question and hadn't slept for over two days when I took it. I've honestly been really unwell and I've been trying to get help from the uni services but no one has replied.

    I was wondering if people are able to defer their first year once they've started? I know I'll need to justify why I want to which I'm a bit apprehensive about because I've been unable to get any replies back from the people who are suppose to be here to help and I need a third party to confirm that I have a legit reason. Has anyone done this before? and also was it difficult to get the go ahead to defer?

    It depends on the rules for your University, but, on the basis of one of my son's experience, you may be able to do something like this, but possibly not for the whole of first year - it probably depends on when you can demonstrate you started to have problems, and became unable to engage fully with the teaching. I think you probably need to speak to your departmental tutor. If your department does not yet know of your problems, you might need to start with your personal tutor? You will need some medical evidence, and your departmental tutor should tell you what you will need. I know it's hard to engage with people when you aren't well, but try to ask about it as soon as you can. so you know where you stand, what is possible, and what evidence you will need. (They might also be able to help with chasing up the online form thing...my son had a similar experience using one of those)

    I think student finance will let you have a year extra, to allow for people choosing the wrong course etc, and if you have medical evidence, possibly more. As you are only in first year, you could just stop, and apply to do a new course after you've taken time out to recover, but if you like where you are, go and speak to the department.

    Have you been to your GP? If Uni are taking a long time to help you - think about going down that route as well - also another potential source of medical evidence.

    I hope you start to feel better soon. Your health is important, look after yourself.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.