Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

First of all I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong spot. It is my first time and I don't quite know my way around.

I am currently a high school student in Australia with a keen interest in English and History and am considering teaching as a career option. I plan to complete a Bachelor of Arts (probably major in history and minor in English Literature) followed by a masters in teaching. That's approx 4 years study here in Aus. I would then like to eventually move to the UK.

I don't know all that much about the structure of these courses or the teaching profession itself but I assume one doesn't cover the entire school curriculum in these courses (and the Australian national curriculum is obviously significantly different to the UK curriculum.) So, my question is: does anyone here know how exactly teachers learn everything in the curriculum needed to teach in schools, particularly if one studied abroad.

Thanks in advance,
    Aussie7.

ReputationRep:
    Google. I kid you not.

For primary in particular, we can't possibly be expected to know everything we need to teach, especially if we move year groups and do different topics year after year.

As long as you're a step ahead of the children, you're fine.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.