The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Computer Science Students (Question)

Hi! I would like to ask you CS Students how's your first year studying Computer Science in this university?

I have couple of questions to ask:

1.How's the timetable? (The reason I ask this because it will depends If I will still working or not when I start studying here)

2.Do I need to study in advance in Programming? What kind of language do I need to learn now?

3.Are you satisfied overall? Did it met your expectations?

Thank you in advance to all the replies! :smile:
Original post by robbiemerc
Hi! I would like to ask you CS Students how's your first year studying Computer Science in this university?

I have couple of questions to ask:

1.How's the timetable? (The reason I ask this because it will depends If I will still working or not when I start studying here)

2.Do I need to study in advance in Programming? What kind of language do I need to learn now?

3.Are you satisfied overall? Did it met your expectations?

Thank you in advance to all the replies! :smile:

Hi robbiemerc,

Afraid I can't answer your final question as I'm not a student on this course, but hopefully this will clear up the first two:

1. The timetable varies slightly each term, typically each student will need to attend a lecture on Monday morning followed by four labs during the week. One of the lab sessions will be four hours long, the others are two hours. There is some flexibility in the timetable as it is possible to swap lab sessions with other students. The average Computer Science student needs to be on campus three days per week to fit all of this in.

2. There’s no need to study a programming language in advance, it’s more important to have a solid mathematical background. The course is taught under the assumption that students have no prior knowledge of the programming languages that are used. In the first year students use a language called Racket, so if you have the chance to try Racket before you begin the course you might have a bit of a headstart, but this is not expected by any means.

Hope that helps you, please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions!

Thanks,
Adam

Middlesex University Official Rep
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending