Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Council houses are shameful to live in watch

ReputationRep:
    This is not my opinion but the opinion of some. I remember in secondary school my two friends and I were having a conversation and one of them mentioned that he lives in a council flat, my other friend laughed at him saying "council flat, really?".

Also in another thread on a different website some comments about public housing were quite vulgar and I didn't understand them.

What's the big deal? Who cares what kind of accommodation someone lives in?

ReputationRep:
    Some people are incredibly judgemental about near enough everything in a 'keeping up with the Joneses' way.

Council housing is seen by some as a sign of failure or being picked up and by extension associated with spongers and benefit cheats etc. There's a huge barrel of negative dogma surrounding anything to do with being helped whether it's needed or not unfortunately.

A home is a home after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicatre)
    There's a huge barrel of negative dogma surrounding anything to do with being helped whether it's needed or not unfortunately.

A home is a home after all.
    Exactly, a home is a home. Shelter is a basic human need it shouldn't matter what kind. It's funny how requiring assistance is seen as undesirable when there are people out there who really need it, although some do abuse it.

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of low rent private houses maintained in far far more squalid conditions that a lot of the remaining council house stock. I wish a government would have the back bone to invest in more social housing rather than handing over billions of pounds to slum landlords each year.

Which isn't really what your point was about. I don't really attach any stigma to people who live in social housing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotiger)
    Exactly, a home is a home. Shelter is a basic human need it shouldn't matter what kind. It's funny how requiring assistance is seen as undesirable when there are people out there who really need it, although some do abuse it.
    I agree whole-heartedly. As someone who has been helped by that system I can see when and where it is legitimately needed and I hate it when it's abused. Unfortunately people only pick on those who abuse the system and they then blame the whole thing for it.

What's wasted on abusing the benefits system can't be anywhere near that of the tax system though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    There are lots of low rent private houses maintained in far far more squalid conditions that a lot of the remaining council house stock. I wish a government would have the back bone to invest in more social housing rather than handing over billions of pounds to slum landlords each year.

Which isn't really what your point was about. I don't really attach any stigma to people who live in social housing.
    I agree the government should invest more into social housing. I just wanted to know whether it's the majority of the nation who share this negative view regarding public housing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicatre)
    I agree whole-heartedly. As someone who has been helped by that system I can see when and where it is legitimately needed and I hate it when it's abused. Unfortunately people only pick on those who abuse the system and they then blame the whole thing for it.

What's wasted on abusing the benefits system can't be anywhere near that of the tax system though...
    Precisely, that's exactly what happens unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Aye I've experienced it myself, moved into a council house when I was about 12 and the other kids just loved to bully me for it. It wouldn't be so bad if the negative attitude didn't stay with them until adulthood as I find adults can be much worse on this front.

ReputationRep:
    OP, because people are classist. well not everybody, but then there still is a stigma because it's still poor people that live in them.

ReputationRep:
    Class prejudice. Poor council house tenants being treated as the enemy within etc compared to "homes fit for heroes" when they were built after world war 2. Sure class snobbery still existed then but the very concept of council houses has become such a bad thing now

I would rather live in a council house than pay rent to some private renter, where the conditions can be pretty ****. I work with polish people who are having no end of trouble getting their landlord to fix stuff like heating and dampness to the point one is pretending to be getting a chest infection just to make them do something about it. Council housing > profiteering private renters.

If I had the money I would like to eventually own my own home but that is looking unlikely...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Class prejudice. Poor council house tenants being treated as the enemy within etc compared to "homes fit for heroes" when they were built after world war 2. Sure class snobbery still existed then but the very concept of council houses has become such a bad thing now

I would rather live in a council house than pay rent to some private renter, where the conditions can be pretty ****. I work with polish people who are having no end of trouble getting their landlord to fix stuff like heating and dampness. Council housing > profiteering private renters.

If I had the money I would like to eventually own my own home but that is looking unlikely...
    The sad thing is (at least in my area) basically no funding goes into council houses so they are going to ****. Like the one my family lives in has a massive mold problem, the council won't do anything to fix it really. Really a lot of them needing tearing down and re-built they are that far gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    The sad thing is (at least in my area) basically no funding goes into council houses so they are going to ****. Like the one my family lives in has a massive mold problem, the council won't do anything to fix it really. Really a lot of them needing tearing down and re-built they are that far gone.
    Ye I don't deny that. When was at school I new someone who lived in one of the few meaning council houses near where I lived, it was pretty dire. But then they had way to many children and seemed to make no attempt to clean the place.

My point is it doesn't have to be like that. That and private renting isn't necessarily any better since in a lot of cases the renters are very much in a position of power over the tenants. Private renting doesn't have to be like that either with renters having a moral conscience and stricter regulation.

It just sucks for me as if I move out it will be because I have a better job which will mean I am not eligible for council housing but will have no where near enough (nor do I want to at this stage in life) be able to afford a house of my own. So pissing money down the drain for profiteering bone idle landlord it is. *sigh*

There is just something about the whole renting out land that annoys me. I'm not a communist I swear :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Ye I don't deny that. When was at school I new someone who lived in one of the few meaning council houses near where I lived, it was pretty dire. But then they had way to many children and seemed to make no attempt to clean the place.

My point is it doesn't have to be like that. That and private renting isn't necessarily any better since in a lot of cases the renters are very much in a position of power over the tenants. Private renting doesn't have to be like that either with renters having a moral conscience and stricter regulation.

It just sucks for me as if I move out it will be because I have a better job which will mean I am not eligible for council housing but will have no where near enough (nor do I want to at this stage in life) be able to afford a house of my own. So pissing money down the drain for profiteering bone idle landlord it is. *sigh*

There is just something about the whole renting out land that annoys me I'm not a communist I swear :ninja:
    Aye there are plenty of private renters who are brilliant, and a lot of the time I think people just put up with their ****ty landlords because they don't realise their rights or know how to enforce them. In my opinion and experience it is harder to get issues sorted out in council houses as it's a much bigger system and you can get lost in it easily.

When I Finnish uni/ hopefully quickly get a job I plan to move in with a few friends so I don't have to live in the family home (it drives me insane) and since I'm really enjoying living with friends at the moment I would love to do so for a good few more years.

Aha can't say I have a problem with renting

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.