Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let m = ((4^p) - 1))/3, where p is a prime number exceeding 3. Prove that (2^(m-1))-1 is divisible by m.

This problem has had me stumped for over one and a half hour, more than enough time to solve this problem.

Any hints on this problem are welcome.

Thank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmptyMathsBox)
    Let m = ((4^p) - 1))/3, where p is a prime number exceeding 3. Prove that (2^(m-1))-1 is divisible by m.
    I know next to nothing about number theory, but I think that you may need to apply Fermat's Little theorem here. I think that you need to show that m and p are relatively prime (i.e that p does not divide m) to get it to work.

ReputationRep:
    Showing that m and p are relatively prime is not that hard 4^p is congruent to 4 (mod p) (little theorem) so (4^p)-1 is congruent to 3 (mod p) so m = ((4^p)-1)/3 is congruent to 1 (mod p) (p is not 3 and is prime so shares no factors with 3 so we can divide by 3) so is relatively prime with p.

However I do not see how this helps me solve the problem except for knowing that m-1 is divisible by p.

Please post any other hints if you have them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmptyMathsBox)
    However I do not see how this helps me solve the problem except for knowing that m-1 is divisible by p.
    Sorry, it doesn't. I only glanced at the question and misread it (and I meant to write "show that 2 and m are relatively prime", anyway). In fact, my idea doesn't make sense at all since m is not prime.

Please post any other hints if you have them.
    Sadly, that's about the limit of my number theory. You'll have to wait for someone who knows this stuff to respond.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.