Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm usually an A/A* grade student but since I've gotten to University I have had very little motivation to study. I'm studying Petroleum Engineering. It's a cross between chemical engineering and geology. I studied Chemistry, Maths and Physics at A-levels.
    Ever since I've come to university I feel less smart and I'm not making wise decisions. I'm leaving it too late to revise for exams and end up cramming and hence getting really bad grades. I'm in my second year and I just finished my first semester exams which I am not optimistic about. My overall is probably around 55% and I think if I end up anywhere less than 65% I have wasted my time at university.

I'm think of failing the second semester on purpose to retake the year so that I can get a grade that accurately represents my capabilities.

My course requires me to do a lot of coursework and I've never done it before since University and a lot of my coursework grades are low. (essays, pop quizzes, presentations, etc.) But what's more surprising is that I'm not doing well in exams. My first semester in year one I got an average of about 61 which I thought at the time was atrocious. Since then I've been getting worse and could only dream of getting that grade now.

Does anyone know what reasons there could be or any tips to strategies to keep in focus and to make sure I get the required grades because right now I'm not sure what it's down to and this is totally out of character and I don't feel like myself when I underachieve like this.

ReputationRep:
    Unless your mental health is suffering because you really hate it that much (which means university is definitely not for you) then you need to look at it from an economic perspective. Ask yourself: what are your job prospects without the degree versus with it? Common sense dictates better with the degree, specially with a STEM subject. I know the feeling of hating uni. Well I actually like my subject, but it's more about hating my university. I go to LSE and literally hate it. Cannot stress how much I dislike this uni. God awful anti-social place full of people who's sole life ambition is to be the next CEO of Barclay's or the president of whatever despotic country their rich daddy comes from. The only reason I choose to stay is because I know I'm worse off without the degree. The job market says you need a degree these days to get any decent job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.