Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am probably going to be doing Software Engineering next year and moving into the campus. I was wondering if I bought a laptop would I even use it outside my room.
    Are we going to be allowed to use our laptops for note taking and other things. If yes would I be able to plug my laptop anywhere in lectures or classes.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing CompSci next year, and I'll most likely be taking both. I imagine it would be quite hard to keep up with note-taking (especially with my scrawley handwriting!), so a laptop is the better choice.

Also, I wouldn't worry about being able to plug your laptop in, unless it runs out of battery in under 3 hours.

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer to do Comp Sci at lancaster today (YAY) and i'll be bringing a desktop for in my room and one of those tablet/notebook things for note taking in lectures. The hybrid tablet/notebooks seem to have very good battery life and as TerminallyChill said, unless the battery is screwed and it runs out almost instantly, then yeah, i guess you'll make good use of a laptop outside of your room.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say laptop because if you can't work in your room (I have building work outside mine so it can be noisy) you can take it to the reading room, learning zone or study zone instead and you can use them in lectures and seminars as long as it's for work! The library has loads of plug sockets that you can plug them in to and some of the larger lecture theatres do too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be doing computer science, I'm bringing my desktop and likely buying a new laptop in the summer which I'll also bring with me for lectures/library work etc. Plus I'll be bringing two monitors as I find it much easier to work efficiently that way

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.