Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiiiii, i've just received an unconditional offer from Bournemouth, which is my first choice. Now i'm trying to decide on the best accommodation. If anyone has an opinion on the which halls are the best, please throw it out there for me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gee_om)
    Hiiiii, i've just received an unconditional offer from Bournemouth, which is my first choice. Now i'm trying to decide on the best accommodation. If anyone has an opinion on the which halls are the best, please throw it out there for me..
    Congratulations on your unconditional! I've firmed my offer with BU too. I'm not sure if you've been to an open day, but there are a cluster of halls that are in the same area. These are Lyme Regis House, Purbeck House, Dorchester House and Chesil House. They're all super nice, so I guess it depends on the type that you're looking for. I've heard that Purbeck House is a social, its quite big too so there's that. Dorchester House is the newest of the halls that BU offer, and it looks great!

One thing to keep in mind when choosing those is the deposit cost. It depends if you're willing to pay the higher deposit, however the higher the deposit doesn't determine how nice the halls are. For example, in Lyme Regis I think the deposit is about £600. I'm not sure about you, but I don't really want to pay that, so there are other deposits that are about £300 which is a lot better to me. If you want to see the deposit prices, go here: http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/accommo...ice_guide.html

A lot of the accommodation is owned by others such as The Student Housing Company or Unite Students. You can go on their website and get 360 tours, along with better pictures than the BU website provides.

Hope this helped you!
    - Hayley x

ReputationRep:
    Hi! What are you planning to study? I got my unconditional offer before Xmas and I'm so excited to start! I'm doing hospitality management. I was just wondering when we'll get all our accommodation applications? I'm thinking about cranbourne house, but there's not much info about the accommodation or many photos, which is a bummer

ReputationRep:
    Dorchester!

Though I'm biased as I currently live there haha. We are literally opposite the train station, coach station and a massive ASDA. Plus a 24 hour co-op. All the halls are spread around town though so theyre all in a convenient place. Dorchester is the most expensive, but its so nice and all my friends at other uni's wished they had similar halls. Purbeck is the most rowdy halls, some have been renovated (better kitchen chairs and laminate floor instead of the carpet) but everyone pays the same which is a little unfair. To me theyre the least modern/bit dirty yet theyre the second most expensive as their run by Unite. Cranbourne has a good atmosphere aswell as looking nice! Its just by Purbeck and opposite Chesil, which is pretty quiet. Lyme Regis is at the back of Purbeck on the main road, just opposite our student union nightclub.

If you have any questions about the uni (or if you're doing events management) just ask!

ReputationRep:
    Hi gee_om,

It really depends on what you are looking for and where most of your lectures are.

If you have a lot of lectures at Lansdown campus, or if you like clubbing and being in town I would say look at: Chesil House, Cranborne, Dorchester, Lyme Regis, and Purbeck. They are all newish and nice.

If you are mainly on the Talbot Campus and don't really mind a bit of a trek if you want to go into town I would say student village. It is the cheapest save for unilet and they are refurbishing them. I stayed there last year and the houses which have been done up are really good quality (cheap too). You don't get a bathroom to yourself unlike some of the others at Lansdown, but you don't have to get up early and catch a bus either (and as a rather lazy person I really enjoyed not having to wait in the cold ).

You could also go to Corfe which is in Poole. This one is a bit further out but Poole is really nice and there are some cool shops to have a look in.

I guess it just depends on what you want from your first year

http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/accommo...graduates.html That should get you onto the page to check out the different accommodations- and give some pictures to

If you want to ask anything else I am happy to help

Amy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xohayley)
    Congratulations on your unconditional! I've firmed my offer with BU too. I'm not sure if you've been to an open day, but there are a cluster of halls that are in the same area. These are Lyme Regis House, Purbeck House, Dorchester House and Chesil House. They're all super nice, so I guess it depends on the type that you're looking for. I've heard that Purbeck House is a social, its quite big too so there's that. Dorchester House is the newest of the halls that BU offer, and it looks great!

One thing to keep in mind when choosing those is the deposit cost. It depends if you're willing to pay the higher deposit, however the higher the deposit doesn't determine how nice the halls are. For example, in Lyme Regis I think the deposit is about £600. I'm not sure about you, but I don't really want to pay that, so there are other deposits that are about £300 which is a lot better to me. If you want to see the deposit prices, go here: http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/accommo...ice_guide.html

A lot of the accommodation is owned by others such as The Student Housing Company or Unite Students. You can go on their website and get 360 tours, along with better pictures than the BU website provides.

Hope this helped you!
    - Hayley x
    Im currently staying in lyme, I must say, at first it was really bad. The internet was crap, firealarms kept going off for no reason.
    But that was soon fixed.
    The internet is super fast now, and its on the high street. Id rate it second best behind Dorchester.

(Original post by helerrrn)
    Dorchester!

Though I'm biased as I currently live there haha. We are literally opposite the train station, coach station and a massive ASDA. Plus a 24 hour co-op. All the halls are spread around town though so theyre all in a convenient place. Dorchester is the most expensive, but its so nice and all my friends at other uni's wished they had similar halls. Purbeck is the most rowdy halls, some have been renovated (better kitchen chairs and laminate floor instead of the carpet) but everyone pays the same which is a little unfair. To me theyre the least modern/bit dirty yet theyre the second most expensive as their run by Unite. Cranbourne has a good atmosphere aswell as looking nice! Its just by Purbeck and opposite Chesil, which is pretty quiet. Lyme Regis is at the back of Purbeck on the main road, just opposite our student union nightclub.

If you have any questions about the uni (or if you're doing events management) just ask!

^
    this.

Dorchester is the best, but mist expensive, and VERY VERY long to walk to clubs.
    imo Lyme is ideal, because its right opposite The Old Fire Station (club) which is live every friday night.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Gee_Om,

I found applying for accommodation really tricky as I had only seen the Student Village, and the images on Bournemouth's website aren't that great! First you need to find out whether you are having lectures on the Talbot or the Lansdowne campus! If you are doing a course that requires frequent use of the uni's facilities, find out which campus you can access these facilities from and ensure that you live as close to that campus as possible! Pretty much all of the accommodation is in Lansdowne - which is really close to the town centre, beach and nightlife! The student village is literally part of the Talbot Campus - but it is the cheapest accommodation and a lot of people are put off by the shared bathrooms! However if you need access to the Talbot campus you can live in the Lansdowne (and vice versa) as a uni bus runs every 10 minutes between each campus!

There are loads of options for accommodation at BU;

1) Chesil (LC) - Chesil is really close to Cranborne and Purbeck and just a short walk from the Old Fire Station (student nightclub) so you will save a lot of money on taxi's! Chesil has a large common room and it is fairly recently built and you will be in flats of 5 or 6, each bedroom has a single bed, desk, storage and an en-suite! You will be right above a co-op as well (if you have an NUS card you can get 10% off). It costs around £117 per week and is ran by Campus Living Villages.
    2) Corfe (Poole) - Like Chesil, Corfe is fairly recent and you will be in flats of 5 or 6, and bedrooms have a single bed, desk, storage and an en-suite! There is also a pool table in the common room! However the location is a bit more difficult as you will be quayside in Poole, which is quite far away from the Talbot Campus and Lansdowne Campus, a bus will operate between the Corfe and the campuses but this will take around 25 minutes! It also costs around £117 per week, and it ran by UNITE, this is a good choice if you are into watersports or if you are an NHS student (as it is so close to the hospital).
    3) Cranborne (LC) - Cranborne is also in the centre of Bournemouth town - neighbouring Chesil and Purbeck, and within walking distance to the beach, OFS and shopping districts. You will be in flats of 6 or 7, and even though it is one of the older buildings it has gone under recent refurbishment. Cranbourne has a large common room and in a bedroom you will get a single bed, en-suite, storage and a desk. It can cost anywhere between £114 and £129 depending on the size of the bedroom you choose (you can have budget, standard or premium). It is also ran by BU!
    4) Dorchester (LC) - Dorchester is the newest accommodation (built in 2012) and is directly next to a huge Asda! It is also close to Bournemouth town centre and the Old Fire Station. You can be clustered with 3 to 7 other students, each bedroom has an en-suite, desk, storage and a double bed! There is also a common room with a TV and pool table as well as two courtyards! Dorcherster costs £123 per week, although you can get a larger room for £130 a week! It is ran by the Student Housing Company!
    5) Lyme Regis (LC) - LR is opposite the Old Fire Station and within walking distance to Dorchester, Cranborne, Chesil and Purbeck as well as the town centre and the beach! You will be in flats with 5 bedrooms and LR has a nice common room with a pool table! You will have a single bed, en suite, storage and a desk in your room there are also TV ports in the living areas. LR is above a Tesco Express as well! It is a recently built halls and would cost around £120 per week! It is ran by Campus Living.
    6) Purbeck (LC) - Purbeck or "partybeck" is one of the most social, again really close to nightclubs and town centre, as well as the big Asda in town! You will be in flats of 5 - 7 with a large common room and courtyard! You get a single bed, with an en-suite, desk and storage. It is a moden building but is one of the older accommodations! It is operated by UNITE and costs roughly £120 per week!
    7) Student Village (TC) - The student village is the oldest accommodation but you cannot beat how close it is to the Talbot Campus! You will be in houses of 3 - 7 and you will be sharing bathrooms! (However this is not so bad from my experience as those who are willing to share bathrooms are usually much tidier). You will have a single bed with storage and a desk. It is ran by BU and costs £106 per week. So it is perfect for those on a budget!
    8) Unilet - You could also go for Unilet, where you will live in one of BU's privately owned furnished homes! This is ideal for those on a budget! But the location could be difficult when it comes to transport.

Depending on your student finance you should see which you would be able to afford, pick ones which leave you with enough money to buy course materials, groceries and for the weekend!

I hope this has helped! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    HI Gee_om!

Congratulations on your unconditional offer!

I currently live at Dorchester and of course being very biased would say it's the best!

It's extremely modern, spacious and even has double beds! It's opposite Asda, McDonalds, the train station, the bus station and a 24 hour Co-op. So the location is ideal!

I do have to say that all the accommodation in Bournemouth town is really good and most offer an en-suite as standard.

If your into night-life I would recommend staying in town as it means your in walking distance of all the bars and clubs. It's also great socially as your close to all your other friends who may stay at different halls of resistance.

However, I do have friends who stay at Student Village and they love it there. It's based on the campus so you never have to wake up early for lectures!

If you want to get a better idea you should check out the photographs on the University website or Facebook page.

I'm sure your have a great time where-ever you stay

If you have any questions feel free to ask
    Gemma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBowditch)
    Hey Gee_Om,

There are loads of options for accommodation at BU;

Spoiler:
    Show

I found applying for accommodation really tricky as I had only seen the Student Village, and the images on Bournemouth's website aren't that great! First you need to find out whether you are having lectures on the Talbot or the Lansdowne campus! If you are doing a course that requires frequent use of the uni's facilities, find out which campus you can access these facilities from and ensure that you live as close to that campus as possible! Pretty much all of the accommodation is in Lansdowne - which is really close to the town centre, beach and nightlife! The student village is literally part of the Talbot Campus - but it is the cheapest accommodation and a lot of people are put off by the shared bathrooms! However if you need access to the Talbot campus you can live in the Lansdowne (and vice versa) as a uni bus runs every 10 minutes between each campus!

1) Chesil (LC) - Chesil is really close to Cranborne and Purbeck and just a short walk from the Old Fire Station (student nightclub) so you will save a lot of money on taxi's! Chesil has a large common room and it is fairly recently built and you will be in flats of 5 or 6, each bedroom has a single bed, desk, storage and an en-suite! You will be right above a co-op as well (if you have an NUS card you can get 10% off). It costs around £117 per week and is ran by Campus Living Villages.
    2) Corfe (Poole) - Like Chesil, Corfe is fairly recent and you will be in flats of 5 or 6, and bedrooms have a single bed, desk, storage and an en-suite! There is also a pool table in the common room! However the location is a bit more difficult as you will be quayside in Poole, which is quite far away from the Talbot Campus and Lansdowne Campus, a bus will operate between the Corfe and the campuses but this will take around 25 minutes! It also costs around £117 per week, and it ran by UNITE, this is a good choice if you are into watersports or if you are an NHS student (as it is so close to the hospital).
    3) Cranborne (LC) - Cranborne is also in the centre of Bournemouth town - neighbouring Chesil and Purbeck, and within walking distance to the beach, OFS and shopping districts. You will be in flats of 6 or 7, and even though it is one of the older buildings it has gone under recent refurbishment. Cranbourne has a large common room and in a bedroom you will get a single bed, en-suite, storage and a desk. It can cost anywhere between £114 and £129 depending on the size of the bedroom you choose (you can have budget, standard or premium). It is also ran by BU!
    4) Dorchester (LC) - Dorchester is the newest accommodation (built in 2012) and is directly next to a huge Asda! It is also close to Bournemouth town centre and the Old Fire Station. You can be clustered with 3 to 7 other students, each bedroom has an en-suite, desk, storage and a double bed! There is also a common room with a TV and pool table as well as two courtyards! Dorcherster costs £123 per week, although you can get a larger room for £130 a week! It is ran by the Student Housing Company!
    5) Lyme Regis (LC) - LR is opposite the Old Fire Station and within walking distance to Dorchester, Cranborne, Chesil and Purbeck as well as the town centre and the beach! You will be in flats with 5 bedrooms and LR has a nice common room with a pool table! You will have a single bed, en suite, storage and a desk in your room there are also TV ports in the living areas. LR is above a Tesco Express as well! It is a recently built halls and would cost around £120 per week! It is ran by Campus Living.
    6) Purbeck (LC) - Purbeck or "partybeck" is one of the most social, again really close to nightclubs and town centre, as well as the big Asda in town! You will be in flats of 5 - 7 with a large common room and courtyard! You get a single bed, with an en-suite, desk and storage. It is a moden building but is one of the older accommodations! It is operated by UNITE and costs roughly £120 per week!
    7) Student Village (TC) - The student village is the oldest accommodation but you cannot beat how close it is to the Talbot Campus! You will be in houses of 3 - 7 and you will be sharing bathrooms! (However this is not so bad from my experience as those who are willing to share bathrooms are usually much tidier). You will have a single bed with storage and a desk. It is ran by BU and costs £106 per week. So it is perfect for those on a budget!
    8) Unilet - You could also go for Unilet, where you will live in one of BU's privately owned furnished homes! This is ideal for those on a budget! But the location could be difficult when it comes to transport.

Depending on your student finance you should see which you would be able to afford, pick ones which leave you with enough money to buy course materials, groceries and for the weekend!

I hope this has helped! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Chris
    Thank you sooooo much, that was way more helpful that anything else i've found

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

If you're applying for accommodation this year, you might want to know that you will need to rank them in order of your preference (if you choose to have the university accommodation team allocate you a room). So you'll need to consider a lot of different factors about them. I've attached a photo of my preference from last year that you might find interesting to see.

I got my first choice - Cranbourne House - and I can definitely recommend it:

- Unlike most of the other accommodation, it's run by Bournemouth University, which means they care a bit more about you than the ones run by private companies.
    - It is a 5 minute walk to a big ASDA or a 1 min walk to a small Co-op store.
    - The uni bus picks up and drops off right outside the accommodation and is a 10-15 journey to the main campus.
    - The halls themselves are of a really decent standard - nice size good condition kitchens with lots of chairs and a perfect table for beer pong.
    - The staff who work in the accommodation reception are really friendly, sorting out your post, sorting out any maintenance issues quick etc.
    - They also send emails out whenever there is an update like maintenance staff coming in or water being turned off temporarily.
    - The atmosphere is pretty good - I got to know all 20 people on my floor in the 3 flats, and you will likely know people in the other wing or in other flats above or below you. We've had a few large flat parties and the security staff haven't had a problem with them.

The only cons I can think of are:
    - No extrator fans above the cookers, so the kitchens can get very smokey.
    - The onsite laundrette is fairly small for the 500 students living here so sometimes you have to wait a while.
    - Theres no car parking available for students (except at weekends). Although, there are places nearby you can park your car for free - or paid if you want to be closer.

Any questions, feel free to ask!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lipslikemorphine)
    Thank you sooooo much, that was way more helpful that anything else i've found
    No worries, I found it quite hard picking accommodation and tbh I think Bournemouth really undersell how nice all of their accommodation is! Glad to have helped! Did you want to know anything else?

Thanks

Chris

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.