This discussion is closed.
Al:Guest
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Firstly, this is an open minded post!

I've never been religious and i've never felt the need to be. Do most people become religious because they see a 'sign', or because they want to exist in heaven after death? Some people say that it's an attempt to explain how things became ... which I don't see as possible because no one could then explain how the creator came to be. Or am I looking at this wrong?

Basically, i'd love to know the reasoning behind something that billions of people across the world take part in, without any basis of evidence for their belief, other than word of mouth. I also find the hipocracy of many religions incredible. Why do so many muslims in my school wear ear rings in the shape of a crucifix, and why will slaughters occur in the name of religion? To me it all seems like a huge excuse for peoples actions, and a way of dealing with issues that aren't yet understood by humans.

Thoughts / comments / answers!?

Al.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Religion, although many people believe in, is just a moral philosophy which people adhere to, to justify good actions.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The concept of nothingness for eternity after death is unthinkable to most people, so they turn to religion for a soloution (ie. the afterlife).
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
religion gives many people a meaning to life...

no-one really believes we go after this life right?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
it's a hard concept to graspbecause you are taking on ALL of someone else idea's, ideals and beliefs. or you are beliveing bits from other religions which is a bit hypocritical
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i don't think that you can belive in heaven without hell surely it is all relative!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
i don't think that you can belive in heaven without hell surely it is all relative!
Why not? I understand what you mean, you wouldn't feel good without the pain and vice versa...

But a concept is that heaven is just the abscence of bad(hell)...
therefore, hell is abscence of good (heaven)... they cancel each other out so that means we don't feel, ****...

soz i was just chatting waffles, lemme ponder further and give a better stance...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (94)
26.93%
No (255)
73.07%

Watched Threads