Turn on thread page Beta

Immigration strain on our services! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm doing a debate on why we need immigration controls and why we shouldn't abolish all controls. I'm going to go into detail about immigrants putting pressure on our services; schools, NHS, housing, benefits etc... To show that our country couldn't cope with a huge influx of immigrants! Does anyone have any points with regards to why we need immigration controls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmhari)
    Hello! I'm doing a debate on why we need immigration controls and why we shouldn't abolish all controls. I'm going to go into detail about immigrants putting pressure on our services; schools, NHS, housing, benefits etc... To show that our country couldn't cope with a huge influx of immigrants. Does anyone have any examples/ updated statistics to show this? Or any points with regards to why we need immigration controls

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You possibly should've thought about evidence before agreeing to debate :P

ReputationRep:
    Why we need immigration controls? why do we need the health service or why do we need the police?

Wake me up when you post something actually worthwhile debating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You possibly should've thought about evidence before agreeing to debate :P
    It's debate team. I have plenty information - literally doing research to find out other people's opinions...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Native To Europe)
    Why we need immigration controls? why do we need the health service or why do we need the police?

Wake me up when you post something actually worthwhile debating
    No I totally agree! Just trying to get opinions and extra information!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No I totally agree! Just trying to get opinions and extra information!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My apologies then

I saw some idiot wearing a hoodie that said 'no one is illegal' today. What do these morons think would happen if our borders were abolished; it would be the destruction of British, European civilisation on an apocalyptic scale

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to learn any facts all you have to do is shout racist at anyone who supports any sort of immigration control

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm doing a debate on why we need immigration controls and why we shouldn't abolish all controls. I'm going to go into detail about immigrants putting pressure on our services; schools, NHS, housing, benefits etc... To show that our country couldn't cope with a huge influx of immigrants! Does anyone have any points with regards to why we need immigration controls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We need to get our own people into work and off benefits instead of importing cheap labour as its unsustainable not to. In order to do this
    we need to tackle the bigotry of people against the "white working class" and the stupidity of mocking statements like "dem immigrants toooook uuur jooobs." Because those fools think they are being clever but are just perpetuating a systemic problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We need border controls to retain our national heritage and stop massive transformation of the country
    Which is not wanted by the majority of people. We need to address politically correct media and education people that want to force their politically correct views on the majority.

We need to be careful who we let in from the point of view of criminals, diseases and terrorism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theamericaboo)
    Forcing people off benefits and into work is called slavery.
    That's the most laughable thing I have ever heard.

Freedom and liberty don't mean a free living. Why shouldn't people have to work for a living? It's slavery if they are forced to do a particular job and not paid but they are free to chose a job and get paid. They are free to train up or get experience for a better job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is so much you could talk about:

- Hundreds of thousands settling here every year with no increase to house building / more hospitals /infrastructure

- Benefit tourism

- Healthcare tourism, ie people coming here to get free treatment on the NHS

- Large numbers of low skilled labour workers coming here when there seems to already be a surplus

- Divisions in communities because of different cultures, ie the Muslim communities in London and Birmingham.

Obviously I haven't got any sources at hand to back up these points (before someone tries to ask me for sources for these claims lol), but shouldn't be hard to research

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world, all countries would be nice and rich and equal, however that is not the reality.

We have countries like the UK, which has the NHS, free schooling, welfare, pensions, child benefit, housing benefit, and all other sorts of 'free' help, provided by the British tax payer.

Then, you have other countries, where poverty and illiteracy are high. If you don't work, you don't eat, and even if you do work, you earn a lot less than someone in the UK would.

It is common sense here: If there were no immigration controls, where is everyone going to head?

While it would be heartless not to feel sorry for those less fortunate than us, you can't have your heart lead you on these matters. There is only so much money in the pot, and we, Britain, cannot save the world. It is impossible to finance everyone, however much we would like to.

Instead of opening the flood gates, all the 'well off' countries (not just Britain) should instead try and help the poorer countries, in one way or another. I mean, what does all this foreign aid even get spent on?

ReputationRep:
    What do these morons think would happen if our borders were abolished
    What do you mean 'abolished'?

(Original post by MKultra101)
    We need to get our own people into work and off benefits instead of importing cheap labour as its unsustainable not to. In order to do this
    we need to tackle the bigotry of people against the "white working class" and the stupidity of mocking statements like "dem immigrants toooook uuur jooobs." Because those fools think they are being clever but are just perpetuating a systemic problem.
    From my understanding, what actually happens in reality is there are a lot of gaps in the job market which British people are not filling. When Johnny Foreigner comes here, he is just satisfied with whatever job he can get and so naturally fills these jobs. It's not deliberate or anything.
    However, the main umbrage from what I can tell, seems to be in the building/carpentry/roofing type trades where a lot of Poles etc. seem to be monopolising a lot of contracts. I understand this is for various weird reasons like they want to all work together because of cultural/language barriers, and other random stuff like that. There is no malice here coming from these people, they're not 'nicking' anything.
    Having said that, maybe the building trade does need addressing. One thing Britain is great at is trade skills, we should have more opportunities for young British males to build their skills in these trades. But again, I'm sure the Poles don't mean us any malice in their actions, it's just incidental. If indeed it is true in the first place, which is another matter.

We need border controls to retain our national heritage and stop massive transformation of the country
    I agree we need some kind of border control but simply for the reason of overcrowding. Nothing to do with all that heritage stuff. If we're not strong enough to retain our heritage while simultaneously living alongside a load of people from other cultures, we don't deserve a heritage in the first place.
    What is this 'heritage'? Could you give some examples? Do you mean royalty and stuff like that?

We need to be careful who we let in from the point of view of criminals, diseases and terrorism.
    I know where you're coming from, but find this difficult to quantify in reality - how does it work? You need to define these words. For example, Polish man punches someone in face because said someone tries to rape Polish man's girlfriend. Polish man has GBH on his record. Not allowed in this country. Said man is brilliant at his job, and could bring a lot to our economy. You don't want to let him in because theoretically he is a criminal. Would you say list the criminal charges that are not allowed in? Who would decide what they were? The whole thing seems a logistical nightmare.

Forcing people off benefits and into work is called slavery.
    Forcing people to work full stop is slavery.

Why shouldn't people have to work for a living? It's slavery if they are forced to do a particular job and not paid but they are free to chose a job and get paid. They are free to train up or get experience for a better job.
    You really think the old guy at B&Q who has a speech impediment, a bad leg, a bad back, a headache, rising damp in his one-bedroom flat, and is on 15 grand a year because that's the only job he can manage feels particularly 'free'?

If there was more sense of community and a touch of balance adjustment on the cales of rich/poor, most people wouldn't have to work nearly as much to achieve the same results. Most times, the guy you're working for is in fact more incompetent than you. This doesn't bode well for people building their skills to get better jobs. The picture you paint, I agree with it, and it's nice, but this isn't the 1950's any more.

In the society we created people should not have to work for a living. We have created a society where the only way to work for a living is to be a part of the system, that is doing mind-numbing labour where most of the fruits of your pointless labour are snatched by a higher-up.

If we existed in a society where a man could go out and make his own house and grow his own food, then I would agree. But you can't do that, so therefore you shouldn't have to work for a living.
    I kind of agree with this. Well said, man. Human beings are apes. Sociable creatures that like to play. Sure, we work, but only in order to achieve certain things. We are not insects. The sooner we wake up and realise this, the better.

ReputationRep:
    I get sick of people bringing money into the immigration debate I think it's proven that immigration generally pays for itself. Why not talk about why it's acceptable that White people are to be a minority in their homeland and their gene pool destroyed by race mixing that is promoted by the media?Isn't that racist towards our people? Immigrants make us foreigners in our homeland. It's only because of political correctness, the race card that stops White people from speaking the damn truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whit3Liberation)
    I get sick of people bringing money into the immigration debate I think it's proven that immigration generally pays for itself. Why not talk about why it's acceptable that White people are to be a minority in their homeland and their gene pool destroyed by race mixing that is promoted by the media?Isn't that racist towards our people? Immigrants make us foreigners in our homeland. It's only because of political correctness, the race card that stops White people from speaking the damn truth.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whit3Liberation)
    I don't think it's political correctness. I just think most people would be embarrassed to come out with the sort of rubbish you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My apologies then

I saw some idiot wearing a hoodie that said 'no one is illegal' today. What do these morons think would happen if our borders were abolished; it would be the destruction of British, European civilisation on an apocalyptic scale
    Although 100% necessary for a truly free market economy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andinet)
    There is so much you could talk about:

- Hundreds of thousands settling here every year with no increase to house building / more hospitals /infrastructure

- Benefit tourism

- Healthcare tourism, ie people coming here to get free treatment on the NHS

- Large numbers of low skilled labour workers coming here when there seems to already be a surplus

- Divisions in communities because of different cultures, ie the Muslim communities in London and Birmingham.

Obviously I haven't got any sources at hand to back up these points (before someone tries to ask me for sources for these claims lol), but shouldn't be hard to research
    Thanks! This is the kind of thing I'm looking for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your view!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    In an ideal world, all countries would be nice and rich and equal, however that is not the reality.

We have countries like the UK, which has the NHS, free schooling, welfare, pensions, child benefit, housing benefit, and all other sorts of 'free' help, provided by the British tax payer.

Then, you have other countries, where poverty and illiteracy are high. If you don't work, you don't eat, and even if you do work, you earn a lot less than someone in the UK would.

It is common sense here: If there were no immigration controls, where is everyone going to head?

While it would be heartless not to feel sorry for those less fortunate than us, you can't have your heart lead you on these matters. There is only so much money in the pot, and we, Britain, cannot save the world. It is impossible to finance everyone, however much we would like to.

Instead of opening the flood gates, all the 'well off' countries (not just Britain) should instead try and help the poorer countries, in one way or another. I mean, what does all this foreign aid even get spent on?
    Thanks, I agree! I'm very much for controlled immigration - culturally and economically I think it's essential but abolishing controls would be crazy. Of course, for a debate - it doesn't matter what my opinion is as I am given a motion to argue!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.