Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got a low A in my GCSE Chemistry ISA, can I still get an A* overall??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay here's the deal.

So I got 40/50 on my Chemistry ISA. I don't know what this will be this year, but last year in 2014, it would have been a low A (you needed 40 to get an A).

However...I was REALLY hoping for an A*!! I have the capability to get an A* on my paper and overall, but will this A on my ISA (I'm not brilliant at ISAs) hinder me from getting it???

I don't know quite how UMS points work...so really please, no 'but A is a very good grade'...I KNOW I can get an A*. please!

I also got 41 on my Biology ISA, again, basically the same question.
    And a B (can't remember the mark) on Physics, which I would like to get an A in...is this possible???

THANK YOU XXX

ReputationRep:
    Don't know the exact ums conversions but am sure all are possible. I got a c on my biology coursework and I believe with 100ums in all exams that would have got me an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvelynFallen)
    So I got 40/50 on my Chemistry ISA. I don't know what this will be this year, but last year in 2014, it would have been a low A (you needed 40 to get an A).

However...I was REALLY hoping for an A*!! I have the capability to get an A* on my paper and overall, but will this A on my ISA (I'm not brilliant at ISAs) hinder me from getting it???

I don't know quite how UMS points work...so really please, no 'but A is a very good grade'...I KNOW I can get an A*. please!

And a B (can't remember the mark) on Physics, which I would like to get an A in...is this possible???
    Each Science is out of 400UMS, with 100 for each exam and 100 for the ISA. You need at least 90% (360) for an A*. If you got the lowest possible A in the ISA, that's 80/100. That means you have to score 280/300 across the 3 exam units to get an A* overall. Possible but not easy.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Compost;53140819]Each Science is out of 400UMS, with 100 for each exam and 100 for the ISA. You need at least 90% (360) for an A*. If you got the lowest possible A in the ISA, that's 80/100. That means you have to score 280/300 across the 3 exam units to get an A* overall.

I thought the isa was out of 50,therefore it would only be 50 points would it not? and i'm sure each paper is out of 60 , all you need for an a* assuming last years boundaries where the same would be 47 points * 3 papers + 40 marks is 181 points out of 220 points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johney37)
    I thought the isa was out of 50,therefore it would only be 50 points would it not? and i'm sure each paper is out of 60 , all you need for an a* assuming last years boundaries where the same would be 47 points * 3 papers + 40 marks is 181 points out of 220 points?
    It is out of 50 raw marks but 100UMS. The UMS grade boundaries are constant at 90% for an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    It is out of 50 raw marks but 100UMS. The UMS grade boundaries are constant at 90% for an A*.
    ahhh, soif it was 100 ums points for 50 how can it be the same for the exam when they are worth more points?

ReputationRep:
    ahhh, soif it was 100 ums points for 50 how can it be the same for the exam when they are worth more points?
    The exam is also out of 100UMS so it is worth the same numebr of points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The exam is also out of 100UMS so it is worth the same numebr of points.
    ok,so realistically how many points would we need to get an a?* out of 60? applying the ums points?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can very easily. In one of my physics exams I got a D but got pulled up to a B because of better results in other units - don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    ok,so realistically how many points would we need to get an a?* out of 60? applying the ums points?
    It varies, you can check what marks you need for diferent exams and different exam series here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

Obviosusy, if you have only got 80UMS from the ISA, you need to be averaging over 93UMS in each of the exam units to get an A* overall.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for all the replies!!! :grin: :happy2: :grouphugs:

I was pretty 100% aware it wouldn't be easy, but chemistry is by far one of my best subjects, so thank you so much for all the help!!

So glad they're stopping the ISAs for A Level though!!

THANK YOU XXX

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for all the replies!!! :grin: :happy2: :grouphugs:

I was pretty but 100% aware it wouldn't be easy, but chemistry is by far one of my best subjects, so thank you so much for all the help!!

So glad they're stopping the ISAs for A Level though!!

THANK YOU XXX
    Best of luck and it can be done!! I got 75 UMS in my isa for chemistry (mid B) and i still got an a* (AQA) )

ReputationRep:
    Okay here's the deal.

THANK YOU XXX
    Nevermind. Realised this thread was made & answered 5 weeks ago. On my iPad, it showed no replies, must've been a bug.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.