The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pipsico
For me as a rule of thumb, I'd say whatever your age is right now in the thousands is a 'good' starting salary for a grad.

'Good' implies slightly better than average.

'Great' would be a starting salary of 28k

'Amazing' would be anywhere above the 40k mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good way to put things. Quite a good rule of thumb personally.
Avg is 20-25 but 30k would be nice
I thought good meant good, not above average. Definitely not 15-20k though. Think 20-25k would be good. while 30k above is top salary.
20-25k is well above average for a 21 year old! I think that would be a good salary to have at this age!

Posted from TSR Mobile
50k.

#britishjobsfornonimmigrants
This question really depends on the hours you're expected to work and the location you're in.

For example...let's take an audit trainee in London in the 'Big 4'. They get around 27k in London starting out, which is in the band most say is 'good'. However, say hello to 60 hours a week and a 600 quid a month room in a shared flat, and things start not looking so great. If you multiply those 60 hours by 46 weeks at work, you're looking at 2760 hours a year...i.e. a shade under 10 quid an hour. Nothing to write home about at all, especially in London.

In contrast a 25k a year job in the West Midlands that is strictly 9-5 is a lot better in terms of hourly, savings potential, and general quality of life.
Reply 107
Original post by UKIProud
50k.

#britishjobsfornonimmigrants

lol like in the fictional good old dayz?
Original post by Quady
lol like in the fictional good old dayz?

Lol
i have been given a comissio business so i might make upwards of £120K in a year if sales are high enough
Reply 110
Original post by jamesthehustler
i have been given a comissio business so i might make upwards of £120K in a year if sales are high enough

What's your salary?
Original post by Quady
What's your salary?

38k a year plus the sales commission
Reply 112
Original post by Quady
What's your salary?

38k a year plus the sales commission

:rolleyes:

Likelyhood is that he's a recruitment consultant/broker who get those kind of salaries.
Reply 114
Original post by jam277
Likelyhood is that he's a recruitment consultant/broker who get those kind of salaries.

He isnt, take a look through some of his other posts, they all contradict eachother. He's lying to try and boost his own ego.
Im starting on 26k this autumn, I have a maths degree tho
Reply 116
Original post by Bengali
Im starting on 26k this autumn, I have a maths degree tho

Thats probs holding you back. I started on just under £28k back in 2008.
Reply 117
Having recently graduated, I've realized students are a bit delusional about the real world.

Trust me, you'll struggle to even get a job at a major corporation/company, let alone get a great salary,

Company I work for (global publisher) virtually everyone here has a degree, and a 21 year olds are starting at about £17-18k.

Other industries might pay more, but trust me, not many global corporations are going to be paying 21 year olds 24-25k unless you have a very desirable skill set.

For example, a junior engineer will probably start at about £24k

Trust me, from experience, just try and get a job with a great company, and unless you're in London, expect to start on something between £17-19k.

And when you have 3-4 years experience, only then start thinking about earning £23-26k
Reply 118
Original post by Quady
Thats probs holding you back. I started on just under £28k back in 2008.

before the biggest global recession in history...............

Salaries were a lot higher before 2010
Reply 119

Hilarious mate. The sales director of the global publisher I work for doesn't even earn £120k....................lol

Latest

Trending

Trending