Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going for an ultrasound tomorrow - what is it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Will I be sitting in the Maternity unit with a load of preggerz gullz?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Unless you're pregnant, I very highly doubt it. They wouldn't send you to the maternity section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Unless you're pregnant, I very highly doubt it. They wouldn't send you to the maternity section.
    Nope, it is the Maternity Unit, as I need an ultrasound on my abdomen (probably liver damage, or cancer).

ReputationRep:
    High intensity sound waves used for non-invasive diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    My nan had one of those when she was like 80. It's just to have a look at the abdomen and detect diseases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Nope, it is the Maternity Unit, as I need an ultrasound on my abdomen (probably liver damage, or cancer).
    Well okay, in that case yes, if you're going to the maternity unit obviously you're going to be surrounded by pregnant women.

It's not exactly a terrifying procedure. They rub some cold gel on your stomach, and rub a stick with a ball thinggy on the end of it over your belly where the gel is.

ReputationRep:
    Ultrasounds are formed by sound waves which exceed 20,00Hz. They are transmitted into the body using a gel-like-liquid which conducts the waves. The waves then travels to the internal organs which then are partially reflected back to the transducer which picks up these waves. This is done when the waves meet a boundary between two different media.

.....might as well get some revision out of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Will I be sitting in the Maternity unit with a load of preggerz gullz?
    I had one done last year because of pulsing in my stomach, the dude puts cold gel on your stomach, has a look around, i was done in like 10 seconds, he says its quick unless he notices something wrong and then it might take longer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.