Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How important is a GCSE in history? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So next year, I get to pick another option (I'm in Year 10 now) and I'm stuck between media studies and history. Bearing in mind I will have to revise for nine science exams, and I've nearly finished GCSE film studies. Is a GCSES in history really useful and how important is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not important but I would choose history over media studies as it's more respected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    Not important but I would choose history over media studies as it's more respected.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    Even if I got an A* in media studies, which I can do quite easily because it is very similar to film studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobbiBlue)
    Even if I got an A* in media studies, which I can do quite easily because it is very similar to film studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Up to you. A level is more important and for jobs/uni courses they usually state 5A*-C etc so if you think you'll do better in media studies then it's your choice

ReputationRep:
    Up to you. A level is more important and for jobs/uni courses they usually state 5A*-C etc so if you think you'll do better in media studies then it's your choice
    Thank you very much x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    So next year, I get to pick another option (I'm in Year 10 now) and I'm stuck between media studies and history. Bearing in mind I will have to revise for nine science exams, and I've nearly finished GCSE film studies. Is a GCSES in history really useful and how important is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What would you enjoy most/do well at?

ReputationRep:
    I love my languages and I am finishing my french GCSE this year so next year I am going to take GCSE Spamish x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Agreed

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    History is so annoying at GCSE, it isn't needed so it isn't worth the hassle

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I personally regret doing History GCSE. One of the most boring subjects; however, like someone said, it is more respected than Film/Media Studies. Based upon importance, keep in mind that it is a GCSE. A levels are more important, therefore do the GCSE you feel confident in achieving the HIGHEST grade in, rather than how important it is.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I have listened to it gratefully but unfortunately my school has decided to drop the one year media course and so I am doing Spanish as I have previously done french and I think it will be an added bonus to have two languages.

Thank you again x

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.