Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I have been considering getting into teaching as a future career. I'd love to teach either History or Politics and am thinking about studying History and Politics (VL12) at the University of Sunderland. Is this qualification enough to teach History? Or, do I need a degree specifically in History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fozziemeister)
    Hello
    I have been considering getting into teaching as a future career. I'd love to teach either History or Politics and am thinking about studying History and Politics (VL12) at the University of Sunderland. Is this qualification enough to teach History? Or, do I need a degree specifically in History.
    Yes, that will be fine.

I have a joint honours degree in French and History and now teach French and Spanish.

A friend of mine has a degree in Archaeology and Ancient History, did a History PGCE and now teaches History and Classics.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm in my last year of my history and politics course atm, and am starting my teacher training for history in September!

They ask that 50% of your course is relatable to the pgce you'll be doing, so as you'd be doing half history, that's perfect! You can still teach politics at a level if the school has a sixth form that teaches it, you're not just restricted to history.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.