Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We had a viewing for our house this afternoon and the landlord sent a text asking us if a group were allowed to visit asap. None of us responded and within a couple of minutes the landlord unlocked the door and walked in the group of visitors. One of the tennants was in the shower and the other needed to get changed and he barged into her room when she was trying to get changed. What are our rights in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    I will find a link for you in an edit but I'm sure it's 24 hours notice.

Link - Section 8(2) I believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by "Wanted")
    I will find a link for you in an edit but I'm sure it's 24 hours notice.
    I heard it was 24 hours as well but this was ridiculous, is there anything we can do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emski)
    I heard it was 24 hours as well but this was ridiculous, is there anything we can do?
    Legally - I believe but don't quote me - you can refuse entry to the landlord or others and demand 24 hour notice. If they come in with a key anyway, that is illegal. Afterwards, I'm not sure how much you can do. It's probably best to complain in a friendly manner to your landlord.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by "Wanted")
    Legally - I believe but don't quote me - you can refuse entry to the landlord or others and demand 24 hour notice. If they come in with a key anyway, that is illegal. Afterwards, I'm not sure how much you can do. It's probably best to complain in a friendly manner to your landlord.
    We did but they won't do anything, they won't even check our radiators that some of my housemates have problems with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emski)
    We had a viewing for our house this afternoon and the landlord sent a text asking us if a group were allowed to visit asap. None of us responded and within a couple of minutes the landlord unlocked the door and walked in the group of visitors. One of the tennants was in the shower and the other needed to get changed and he barged into her room when she was trying to get changed. What are our rights in this situation?
    Your definitley legally entitled to 24 hours notice of anyone turning up at the house unless its an emergency. My landlord was only telling us on the day (although at least a few hours earlier) I sent a text reminding him we had a legal right to 24 hours notice- failure to give this is harassment - I would suggest if contacting your landlord doesn't work going to citizens advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Your definitley legally entitled to 24 hours notice of anyone turning up at the house unless its an emergency. My landlord was only telling us on the day (although at least a few hours earlier) I sent a text reminding him we had a legal right to 24 hours notice- failure to give this is harassment - I would suggest if contacting your landlord doesn't work going to citizens advice.
    We have had this a few times where this has occurred and I will make sure I do my best to let people know once my tenancy is over that they should avoid this agency.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.