Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being way more bothered about money than people/love. watch

ReputationRep:
    An abundance of money is the one thing that I feel is missing from my life, it honestly hurts my sense of confidence. I do not really feel complete without it. I know that this is the relationship forum, but, I just don't think I can be happy without business success. Seriously, I don't care about people, I have always been way more goal focused and people have just come and gone in my life. But, I have hit an impasse in my life, I am struggling to establish a career after my degree after a lot of hard work.
    It really ****s up the perception of myself, that I am not really as invincible as I once thought I was. And this has been consuming me for months on end.

I don't feel at home in the north east and don't think it is the best place for me to succeed. I want to eventually make it to London and be making the big money there.

ReputationRep:
    If life is only ever about how much you're gonna earn, expect a miserable life indeed. Cause no amount of money's gonna make you happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    An abundance of money is the one thing that I feel is missing from my life, it honestly hurts my sense of confidence. I do not really feel complete without it. I know that this is the relationship forum, but, I just don't think I can be happy without business success. Seriously, I don't care about people, I have always been way more goal focused and people have just come and gone in my life. But, I have hit an impasse in my life, I am struggling to establish a career after my degree after a lot of hard work.
    It really ****s up the perception of myself, that I am not really as invincible as I once thought I was. And this has been consuming me for months on end.

I don't feel at home in the north east and don't think it is the best place for me to succeed. I want to eventually make it to London and be making the big money there.
    too bad, you should have talked to people and made contacts and connections instead of just letting them 'come and go' in your life
    that probably why you can't find establish a career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    If life is only ever about how much you're gonna earn, expect a miserable life indeed. Cause no amount of money's gonna make you happy
    People often make your point but I disagree with that, for example you could buy a pet and give it a loving home and that could make you happy. Or you could donate your money to a project and change the lives of others which could make you happy

ReputationRep:
    At the moment your worry is money. Which is a legitimate concern. But you need to find a balance between your goals and caring about other people, otherwise you're going to end up really unhappy.

ReputationRep:
    I remember, a few months back, you told me you were this successful guy, friends with Oxbridge graduates, sons of aristocrats etc and I said that it is obvious from the things that you say that this is not the case.

I think I now know I was right...

ReputationRep:
    Having career aspirations, goals and ambitions are all good traits.

But in achieving that, you shouldn't neglect your people skills and building networks, freidnships, etc.

Ultimately, its the longer lasting relationships (like friends, family and partner) that will keep you happy.

Having wealth is nice - but you could lose it in a flash one day... you need other things in your life that will keep you happy and satisfied.

Its good that you've had a dose of reality when you say you realise you're not bulletproof anymore. Now, work hard, strive to achieve your aims, but don't lose other aspects of your life as well. Keep it all into perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    too bad, you should have talked to people and made contacts and connections instead of just letting them 'come and go' in your life
    that probably why you can't find establish a career.
    Probably. I thought my academics and experiences would be enough, evidently not. Sometimes I think the whole world is just against me in terms of my career, which tbh in the north is probably true, all white offices and racist management of companies.

The lack of using people and milking contacts was a miscalculation, I must admit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    I remember, a few months back, you told me you were this successful guy, friends with Oxbridge graduates, sons of aristocrats etc and I said that it is obvious from the things that you say that this is not the case.

I did not say I was successful and did not have anything to work for anymore. I had a £20k + job in a northern city (tbh it was **** and entry level) and I threw it away because of differences in opinion. My relatives are Cambridge grads (2 of them), a LSE Economics grad and RG grads. My best mate (dead now) was an Oxford grad. My family were aristocrats back in the old country. In the present day, that means jack **** because of circumstances. I think you don't want it to be true, but I can assure you it is. And no, me and my family do not get along, we are all competing with one another. And funnily enough, they all succeeded which is the extra annoying thing. I am in a battle against them all.

I can actually link you to my Skype conversations with them if you are that bothered... So don't throw accusations around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)

omg don't hit a man when's he down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adipoptosis)
    omg don't hit a man when's he down!

He sounds bitter tbh, he called me out, I'm ready to give him all the proof he wants. And now he is going to walk away with his tail between his legs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    At the moment your worry is money. Which is a legitimate concern. But you need to find a balance between your goals and caring about other people, otherwise you're going to end up really unhappy.
    Thing is, I would not be unhappy if I achieve what I set out to achieve. At the moment I'm missing:

- An Oxbridge degree
    - A multi-million pound property and business portfolio.

I'm just a poor graduate who has fallen out with my parents (who are broke themselves). Money , is everything. Without it, no pride, and I would know that those around me would have beaten me. I think our environment shapes us more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob'sPants)
    Having career aspirations, goals and ambitions are all good traits.

But in achieving that, you shouldn't neglect your people skills and building networks, freidnships, etc.

Ultimately, its the longer lasting relationships (like friends, family and partner) that will keep you happy.

Having wealth is nice - but you could lose it in a flash one day... you need other things in your life that will keep you happy and satisfied.

Its good that you've had a dose of reality when you say you realise you're not bulletproof anymore. Now, work hard, strive to achieve your aims, but don't lose other aspects of your life as well. Keep it all into perspective.
    I regret not building more networks and 'friendships' that would have got me up the career ladder faster. I failed to capitalise on the ones I had.

ReputationRep:

Personally, you may think money is all you need to be complete and happy but surely you don't just want to make yourself happy? Bit selfish just concentrating on your needs and ignoring the needs of those around you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    M8 u sed u wos a twink, do some gigolo stuff youl b wel r1ch
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    It's a nice sentiment, but I disagree a bit. I've had a pay rise recently and it's made my life a lot easier and I'm a lot happier. But I agree though, if you chase money and disregard friends and family, you'll end up unhappy. I've got a good circle of people around me, I'd be thoroughly unhappy if I was lonely.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, I would not be unhappy if I achieve what I set out to achieve. At the moment I'm missing:

- An Oxbridge degree

I'm just a poor graduate who has fallen out with my parents (who are broke themselves). Money , is everything. Without it, no pride, and I would know that those around me would have beaten me. I think our environment shapes us more than anything.
    You can start a business with me if you want... I want money too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's necessarily something wrong with wanting money but I find your attitude confusing and disturbing.
    How do you actually want to earn the money?
    What do you actually want to spend the money on?
    If the answers to the first question is that the means is irrelevant then I struggle to see you succeeding. You need some kind of passion, idea or innovation. Otherwise landing a soul-destroying job you'll hate is your only option.
    If the answer to the latter question is fickle material possessions and status symbols then why even bother to sacrifice your happiness for money to spend on things that will make you more unhappy?
    I personally feel that disregarding relationships with others is foolish but even if you feel you don't need any meaningful relationships in your life I struggle to see how anyone could want to lead a life with no meaningful purpose or passion. So identify it and maybe you will make a lot of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

- An Oxbridge degree

It wasn't suggesting you wouldn't be happy if you achieved all this. Only that once you achieve this, you'll realise that other things could have made you happy.

Surely an Oxbridge degree is not the only way to become successful?

So I understand you crave money and the status it brings because you've been without money during most of your life?
    That's understandable but still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    It's a nice sentiment, but I disagree a bit. I've had a pay rise recently and it's made my life a lot easier and I'm a lot happier. But I agree though, if you chase money and disregard friends and family, you'll end up unhappy. I've got a good circle of people around me, I'd be thoroughly unhappy if I was lonely.

It is not about buying things and living a nice lifestyle. I don't give a damn about any of that, I would live like a student forever if need be. I would continue living at a basic level. It is all about pride and one-upmanship, that is what it is all about, winning.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.