Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any useful tips on how to get an A in A level Biology? I'm getting no where near my predicted grade and I have no idea where to start, any help would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Past papers seem to do the trick. Do a lot and when you mark them make sure you learn what specific things the mark scheme is asking for because you can lose simple marks by not learning these specifics
    Its also a good way to see where you need to do the most work. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you on?

ReputationRep:
    Past papers are the best. Our Biology teacher gives us past paper exam questions specific to the topic every time we do it for example 3.1- Investigating cell structure.

Also try to make revision cards. Do the look, cover and check method, then try applying the information to the question although the questions are not normally of what we expect. Put notes in your Biology book and write in the book using pencil. Always useful when the teacher is hinting out good key information. Whatever exam board you are doing, go on their website and download or print the exam past papers. Dont beat yourself up if you get them wrong, this is where you learn you're common mistakes and rectify them.

As my teacher says it all about memory! Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you understand all of the concepts, then keep reading through your notes and textbook to make sure you remember everything.

Closer to the exams, do past papers and read through the mark schemes in detail, because it's often difficult to give the answers that they want for biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph100698)
    Has anyone got any useful tips on how to get an A in A level Biology? I'm getting no where near my predicted grade and I have no idea where to start, any help would be much appreciated!
    Past papers,mindmaps and watching yt videos really helped me. I was in a similar position as you, I was predicted a C at AS but ended with a B .

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thealevelbiologist.co.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzC...ZG7jmCLC49z2wQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeilahDeere)
    What exam board are you on?
    WJEC

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, just had another mock and I felt like it went much better! Going through the past papers really helped, still struggling with applying my knowledge though so will just have to go through my notes and do some extra reading I think

ReputationRep:
    Do as many past papers as possible, make sure you have a good revision guide and textbook specific to the exam board and do the summary questions in those to consolidate your knowledge after you've gone over a certain topic in lesson. Also look through past papers and try to identify which questions are often repeated, look at the mark scheme and learn the model answer and key terms for each question. When revising the method I find best for biology is reading through a page of notes/page of the textbook and try to write the page down from memory, keep trying until you can write the page down easily from memory, but different revision techniques work best for different people so try a few different things e.g. flashcards, mandamus, watching Youtube videos (I would recommend Crash Course Biology, I use this as an introduction to revision to jog my memory before I start answering exam questions etc).

ReputationRep:
    Doing past papers two/three times helped me go from a mock grade of a U to an AS grade of an A.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.