Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm choosing my A Levels soon, and I'm not sure what to pick. I have a set of A Levels I want to do.

They're:

Geography
    Sociology
    Business Studies
    Media Studies
    Maths (I feel like I would fail - my current grade at GCSE = B/A)

I'm not entirely sure what career I would like to head into, but there have been many jobs that have crossed my mind. National television subtitling has been one of them, some form of office work, or even translation. Ahhhhh, I dunno what to pick. Help pleasee! I do wish to go into university by the way, but I'm not sure what course I should major in. But for the now, the most help I need is choosing my A Levels

~IK PEOPLE MAY JUDGE ME ON SOME OF MY CHOICES SAYING STUFF LIKE SOFT SUBJECTS. NONE OF THAT PLESE

~~I ALSO DO NOT REALLY AIM FOR THE TOP RUSSEL UNIVERSITIES

Help please

ReputationRep:
    Why would you fail if you're getting As and Bs at GCSE? The entry requirements are almost always a B for A Level which means they expect you to be able to get a high enough grade in the subject. Honestly, maths A Level isn't all its hyped up to be. It's quite easy for the main part at AS and if you do stats you'll repeat some of the content in Geography. Also Business will help with your basic maths skills as both require formula use and manipulation. I would say choose maths as it will arguably help you more in the future and will open doors to more degree courses than media for example.
    However, I am a believer in doing what you enjoy. So if you enjoy so called "soft subjects" go ahead and do them. But, unis only look for 2 "hard subjects" anyway so by doing maths and geography you could still do your options without worrying about repercussions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schu98)
    Thank you very much. Do you know how you only choose 3/4 subjects at A Level, do you think it helps by making you more focused on those subjects that you chose? As in, rather than GCSE, where you had to focus on around 9-13 subjects, do you think that despite the difficulty of A Levels, having only 3/4 choices will make it easier for you to work hard in the subject and achieve a good grade? I'm not sure if you understand me.
    Well I chose 5 subjects at AS and I definitely treat my extra subject as just that, an extra. Therefore, I get lower grades in it as I don't put in as much effort. I would say that yes, despite A Levels being harder, you also spend much more time on them than GCSEs. As such, they sort of cancel each other out (you will still notice a change in difficulty).
    My school recommends 4 hours a week minimum extra study per subject and % if you want to get the top grades. Therefore, you do need to have an interest in the subject as otherwise it isn't likely that you will do as well.

ReputationRep:
    I have done my a level with socilogy, maths and others.choose sociology if ur fairly good in english and have a good memory for u need to write essays remember various people's ideologies and researches to validate ur ans;otherwise its quite a commonsensical subject.well, for ur maths u need to be more careful and i think u should take statistics because i found mechanics 2 challenging.i have heard statistics is quite predictable.i was totally bewildered by my mechanics 2 paper.and u need to really familiarise urself with the concepts for pure maths especially for a2. So take maths if ur prepared for some serious working.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.