Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Spam emails being deleted on my email account help needed. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have an email account and I have noticed that spam emails are automatically being deleted after a few days from my spam section of my account. Is this normal? Is my account being hacked? what should i do?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your email provider, usually they delete after 30 days.
    Perhaps contact your email provider and query it.
    Do you only access your email via webmail, or do you download your emails to PC using an email program? If so, that program may have its own setting for when to empty which could override the email provider's default period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UUSee98)
    It depends on your email provider, usually they delete after 30 days.
    Perhaps contact your email provider and query it.
    Do you only access your email via webmail, or do you download your emails to PC using an email program? If so, that program may have its own setting for when to empty which could override the email provider's default period.

Hi,

Thanks. I am still not sure what is going on with it all. The spam emails disappear by themselves after a few days whilst other seem to just remain there. I have spoken to my internet provider and they really were unhelpful and sort anything out. What should I do now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    Hi,

Thanks. I am still not sure what is going on with it all. The spam emails disappear by themselves after a few days whilst other seem to just remain there. I have spoken to my internet provider and they really were unhelpful and sort anything out. What should I do now?
    Mark any email that is not spam as not spam, add the sender to any safe senders list you may have, leave the rest to die in the spam bin. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Mark any email that is not spam as not spam, add the sender to any safe senders list you may have, leave the rest to die in the spam bin. :yep:
    Thanks. But my main concern is that how are they deleting themselves within a few days whilst others remain for much longer? Has someone got access to my email account?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. But my main concern is that how are they deleting themselves within a few days whilst others remain for much longer? Has someone got access to my email account?
    It's done automatically, spam emails are cleared out after a few days whereas stuff in your inbox stays there until you move it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    It's done automatically, spam emails are cleared out after a few days whereas stuff in your inbox stays there until you move it.

Thanks, but that did not used to be the case. My friend does not have this problem with her spams and I am scared someone is accessing my emails.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but that did not used to be the case. My friend does not have this problem with her spams and I am scared someone is accessing my emails.

Why not change the password, then?

ReputationRep:
    Try changing your password and see if it still happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabinaraus)
    Why not change the password, then?

Done that already. but still happening. something is not right.

ReputationRep:
    Done that already. but still happening. something is not right.
    Go to the Settings icon (top right), Settings-> Security -> choose "delete Spam older than 1 month", save, then see if it happens again!

ReputationRep:
    Are you with the same email provider? It's not a universal rule and will vary between different providers, also your provider might have changed their policy recently.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.