Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to a tuna's attempt at university!

My grades now:

Chemistry: D
    Biology: D
    Psychology: (Guess?) NOT a D. It's an A. Something had to be good.

I know, pretty bad grades, I never said this fish was smart, give me a break.

What I want my grades to be by August:

Chemistry: A
    Biology: A (This green is an awful colour)
    Psychology: A. Let's not change that.

A bit of background:

So, I'm in Spain, studying from home because my lovely ex-stepdad kicked me (and mother) out of his house before my A2 exams started. Hence why I'm even attempting to go to uni, the ones I've applied to have already allowed me to resit the year. Exceptional circumstances and that.

Which reminds me!

I have applied to The University of Glasgow for Anatomy. And the Glasgow Caledonian university for Microbiology. No answer yet. Scared as ****

So! If you ever want to feel better about yourself, come read this!
    I'll update as I progress, I promise.

Happy studying, I hope everyone gets the grades they deserve!

PS: I am not responsible if anyone doesn't get the grades they want because they read my blog and relaxed as they saw me fail. Work hard dammit!

By:
    Atunu
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    All looks great :awesome: Keep us updated on how you're doing :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Just keep swimming Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, it's the Calvin cycle.

I have been doing biology revision lately, and I have just properly learnt what the calvin cycle is about. Before I couldn't, for the life of me, get my head around the number of molecules in each step.

It's fine now, no worries.

I have been writing notes off the top of my head, so I learn a topic by reading it and repeating out loud without looking at it. And then, a good 10 minutes after I try to write down everything I remember to see if I miss out on anything.

I might do some mind maps as soon as the notes are finished, trying to make beauty happen in biology is effort.

For now though, here are my rough notes on the Light dependent reaction and the Calvin cycle, if you see any mistakes could you please correct me?

Not the best quality photos but you get the idea.

Does anyone listen to music whilst revising? Some people prefer absolute silence, I personally don't and some studies have shown that listening to music (with no lyrics) can help improve concentration. I have a little playlist with the likes of Mozart and Bach, not my usual but definitely helps me.

PS: Starting to think I should have called this blog 'Keeping up with the tunashians. It would be ironic because this is about studying and well... they aren't.

By
    Atunu
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roshany)
    Just keep swimming Good Luck!
    I will try, these damn boats tho, thank you and good luck to you too! :bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    All looks great :awesome: Keep us updated on how you're doing :yep:
    Thanks! Will keep updating 'fo sho'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atunu)

By:
    Atunu
    As Einstein said, everybody is a genius, but don't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree Good luck! I hope you do well.
    The calvin cycle was the bane of my existence, until I had to learn the Ornithine cycle. What exam board do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atunu)
    Welcome to a tuna's attempt at university!

My grades now:

Chemistry: D
    Biology: D
    Psychology: (Guess?) NOT a D. It's an A. Something had to be good.

What I want my grades to be by August:

Chemistry: A
    Biology: A (This green is an awful colour)
    Psychology: A. Let's not change that.

A bit of background:

So, I'm in Spain, studying from home because my lovely ex-stepdad kicked me (and mother) out of his house before my A2 exams started. Hence why I'm even attempting to go to uni, the ones I've applied to have already allowed me to resit the year. Exceptional circumstances and that.

Which reminds me!

I have applied to The University of Glasgow for Anatomy. And the Glasgow Caledonian university for Microbiology. No answer yet. Scared as ****

So! If you ever want to feel better about yourself, come read this!
    I'll update as I progress, I promise.

Happy studying, I hope everyone gets the grades they deserve!

PS: I am not responsible if anyone doesn't get the grades they want because they read my blog and relaxed as they saw me fail. Work hard dammit!

By:
    Atunu
    How many different colours do you honestly need. This is like a year 7 powerpoint that has every possible animation, font and colour crowded on the same page.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck Tuna!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownAnon)
    As Einstein said, everybody is a genius, but don't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree Good luck! I hope you do well.
    The calvin cycle was the bane of my existence, until I had to learn the Ornithine cycle. What exam board do you have?

That quote is indeed what I needed, thank you!
    Agh tell me about, I have edexcel, the oh so famous nuffield salters. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comeback)
    Good luck Tuna!
    Thank you! Good luck to you too, comeback (like, come back, do you get it? You know what I'm just tired, don't mind me )

ReputationRep:
    Glad that quote helped! And I do the dreadful OCR for both chemistry and biology... They seem to have the most ludicrously specific mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subject1)
    How many different colours do you honestly need. This is like a year 7 powerpoint that has every possible animation, font and colour crowded on the same page.
    I know! Thank god I'm not actually getting graded on this blog but my actual exams eh? Phew, nearly actually took an internet comment seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Glad that quote helped! And I do the dreadful OCR for both chemistry and biology... They seem to have the most ludicrously specific mark schemes.
    Oh, I do the OCR for chemistry too! It is indeed dreadful, F336 is a delight in itself. Not.

ReputationRep:
    We had a mock for the first A2 chemistry exam, and my WHOLE class failed. Needless to say my teachers were shocked! If you're studying from home, what do you do about the practicals?

ReputationRep:
    We had a mock for the first A2 chemistry exam, and my WHOLE class failed. Needless to say my teachers were shocked! If you're studying from home, what do you do about the practicals?
    Oh wow, OCR strikes again, I though they were going to slightly change the specification this year to make it easier. Seems like that's a no. And the uni in my city let me use their lab, under their control of course, so I should be fine. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atunu)
    Oh wow, OCR strikes again, I though they were going to slightly change the specification this year to make it easier. Seems like that's a no. And the uni in my city let me use their lab, under their control of course, so I should be fine. Maybe.
    That sounds pretty cool tbh. How different are the uni labs from normal school ones? I think the biggest mistake I made last year was not doing enough past papers for OCR, they're like a (not-so-secret) secret weapon for A levels.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds pretty cool tbh. How different are the uni labs from normal school ones? I think the biggest mistake I made last year was not doing enough past papers for OCR, they're like a (not-so-secret) secret weapon for A levels.
    I'm not sure, I still haven't gone in, should be going next week, although from what I heard, they are bigger and have more equipment, which is quite obvious anyway. And aaah, me too, and also not giving the past papers to my teacher and marking them myself, best way to fool yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atunu)
    I'm not sure, I still haven't gone in, should be going next week, although from what I heard, they are bigger and have more equipment, which is quite obvious anyway. And aaah, me too, and also not giving the past papers to my teacher and marking them myself, best way to fool yourself.
    Good luck for next week! Ah yes! If only all examiners marked as lenient as we mark our own papers! How hard is it to self-teach the content? My chemistry is awesome, she has made us so many revision materials on brightly coloured paper. :cool: If you do need any, I can post some.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for next week! Ah yes! If only all examiners marked as lenient as we mark our own papers! How hard is it to self-teach the content? My chemistry is awesome, she has made us so many revision materials on brightly coloured paper. :cool: If you do need any, I can post some.
    If only! Not gonna lie, it's a pain but not as difficult as you'd expect, still, I miss the fact I could just ask my teacher if I didn't understand anything and now I'm on my own like :confused: And oh, she's awesome indeed, sure if you are ok with sharing, I'm sure we could all benefit from it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.