Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I doing the wrong thing at the Gym? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm trying to lose weight and tone up. I got to the gym a few times a week for about an hour and a half at a time. I hate cardio and enjoy weights. I force myself to do about ten minutes cardio (not good, I know) and then spend the rest of my workout doing weights. Is this a bad move? I've been told this is going to give me to opposite effect than I want, bulking me out and not helping me lose weight at all.
    Thanks all

ReputationRep:
    losing weight is just energy in vs energy out, you won't bulk just by doing weights if you don't eat enough and you wont lose weight if your consuming more calories when than you use. You technically don't even need to do much cardio to lose fat. If you want to lose both fat and gain muscle, you should eat less processed and saturated fats/sugars, while eating enough carbs and lean protein and do 10 minutes of cardio after an hour of weights.

ReputationRep:
    You'd really benefit from reading the FAQ

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter if you lose weight or not, as long as you're eating only when you're hungry, and eating a sufficient amount during each meal

ReputationRep:
    You're spending too long in the gym mate, are you working out efficiently?
    It takes me an hour at the gym, moderate-high intensity.

You are what you eat, so first and foremost, fix your diet. Managing it well will take the kgs off. However, measure your progress through the mirror and not the scales. Muscle is denser than fat so you may find you actually gain weight.

Walk into the gym with a plan. I suggest start out with a strength program and then from there you can branch out depending on your goals.

I'll recommend the 5x5 workout. Compound exercises are great for building a foundation of strength for your workouts.
    I recommend
    HTML Code:
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Forget the word toned for starters

And if you wanna lose bodyfat, cardio is probably your best friend. (Or any activity which gets you out of breath and sweating).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.