Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you addicted to sugar? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have come to the conclusion that I well and truly am. Today the only sugar I have had is from a yogurt and banana which I had for breakfast and since I have consciously abstained to see if I could and I'm really struggling even though I have had substantial meals. I have a pack of Oreos next to me and I'm struggling to resist.

ReputationRep:
    YES i was literally just googling why I always have a constant sugar craving then I saw this thread! But yeah I can't go a day without sugar

ReputationRep:
    Sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Most people in this modern world are addicted to it, they just wouldn't know it until they went three days without it and start getting headaches from Candida detoxification.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nah, thought I was but I hardly have sugary things anymore. A nice chocolate whey shake made with water is enough to satisfy my cravings for sweetness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Per)
    Sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Most people in this modern world are addicted to it, they just wouldn't know it until they went three days without it and start getting headaches from Candida detoxification.
    Not unless you suffer from Diabetes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Nah, thought I was but I hardly have sugary things anymore. A nice chocolate whey shake made with water is enough to satisfy my cravings for sweetness.
    Are you sure, it's surprising what foods and drinks contain sugar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Per)
    Candida is a bacteria. It often appears in patients that have HIV.

Carbohydrates are fine, like with all foods, when taken in moderation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by LickingCarpet)
    Are you sure, it's surprising what foods and drinks contain sugar.
    I didn't say I don't have any sugar at all haha, but sugary drinks, cakes, sweets etc. i.e. the obviously sugary stuff I only have occasionally now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, frankly. But then I have to continuously prove to my family I'm past orthorexia.

ReputationRep:
    I have such a sweet tooth and I eat far too much sugary food. I try to eat healthy sometimes but I find that fruit and vegetables go off far too quickly and I would need to go shopping at least every other day to keep my cupboards stocked. At least sugary food keep so I get away with one big shop a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Per)
    Oh and Sugar is not more addictive than cocaine. If it was then Drug dealers would sell it.

People are not robbing stores to buy packets of Oreos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Candida is a bacteria. It often appears in patients that have HIV.

Carbohydrates are fine, like with all foods, when taken in moderation.
    Carbohydrates are fine in moderation but the reality is that most of our food is laden with added sugar. Antibiotic overuse and too much sugar destroys the bacterial balance of the gut leading to a plethora of conditons that most GPs will diagnose using terms like 'IBS' which is really short for 'I don't know what it is but your guts are screwed for good'.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Sugar is not more addictive than cocaine. If it was then Drug dealers would sell it.

That's a rather silly response, sugar is cheap, legal and readily available. If for some reason it suddenly wasn't I reckon it would be a lucrative substance as it once was in the middle ages.

ReputationRep:

Haha, I don't really see how one could rob a store to buy oreos but funny you should mention them

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsul...ve-than-oreos/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...n-cocaine.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LickingCarpet)
    That's a rather silly response, sugar is cheap, legal and readily available. If for some reason it suddenly wasn't I reckon it would be a lucrative substance as it once was in the middle ages.
    Not really. Alcohol is also cheap and easy to obtain.

Guess what? There is a huge black market in that as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Per)
    Haha, I don't really see how one could rob a store to buy oreos but funny you should mention them

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsul...ve-than-oreos/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...n-cocaine.aspx
    No. That study was not peer reviewed.

Furthermore, they didn't actually compare the Oreos and the Drugs.

There were two groups of rats.

One group had to choose between Cookies and a Rice Cake. The other had to choose between Drugs and Saline.

They deduced that because the Rats had greater "chemical" activation in the Cookies area than Drugs area, that means that the Cookies are more addictive than Drugs.

There was no direct comparison between the two.

Oh and Mercola is a known scam site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Per)
    Carbohydrates are fine in moderation but the reality is that most of our food is laden with added sugar. Antibiotic overuse and too much sugar destroys the bacterial balance of the gut leading to a plethora of conditons that most GPs will diagnose using terms like 'IBS' which is really short for 'I don't know what it is but your guts are screwed for good'.
    Not really.

There is no such thing as "too much" carbs unless you are overweight.

People have mainly carbohydrate diets without becoming Obese or having IBS.

ReputationRep:
    Not really.

There is no such thing as "too much" carbs unless you are overweight.

People have mainly carbohydrate diets without becoming Obese or having IBS.
    I concede that I posted that link too hastily as I was amused but sugar addiction is a serious problem in our society. I'm not saying that people need to go to rehab, we just consume it generally in unnaturally high and dangerous amounts. It's the underlying cause behind many epidemics including diabetes, mental health issues, digestive issues, dental issues and cancer to name just a few.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I have a low sugar/carb diet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.