Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

America this August? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to visit America this August before returning to University but don't fancy going alone... I've had a look at a couple of websites which do tours but I don't know if I fancy being taken around - I'd rather explore and have an adventure than be part of a fixed route and plan.

It would be great to have an exchange partner over there who I could spend the time exploring the area with but I don't know anyone who lives over there or who is planning on going over anytime soon.

Are there any good sites I could look at? Has anyone been on a tour in America which was good? I'm 19 (20 in March) and would like to travel along with other students of a similar age

Any help, advice and tips would be great!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't fancy doing an organised tour but still want to travel around you would really need to hire a car, which given your age would be difficult/very expensive. If you have a friend or family member aged 25 or over then it is much cheaper to rent. If touring this way it is very easy to explore on your own schedule and to your own interests. America is a country made for driving and it is easy to get around but there are many things to take into consideration such as rental fees, additional costs for picking it up dorm where and dropping off elsewhere, petrol, insurance etc.

If you want to do an organised tour much of this hassle will be dealt with by the agency or organisation involved. I don't have much experience with travelling the U.S. with an organised tour but popular groups include trek america. I'm sure there's many other contributors on here who have direct experience with these organisations and would be able to help more than I am.

It would be helpful if you knew roughly what part of the U.S. you would like to visit as this will effect your costs. California and New England are typically more expensive than the Midwest and the South East for example! Are you sure you want to travel in August? In most states it will be very hot and very busy with tourists at this time of the year, I would recommend June or September instead if you're bound by university holidays. I usually travel to the states in September and flights are cheaper and the temperature is much more pleasant for hiking, exploring etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your help! I'm thinking of New York I'd not even thought about how busy and hot August would be so thanks - definitely reconsidering and opting for September instead.

Off to look on trek America at the moment If I decided to go myself how long would you advise spending in New York? Would 6/7 days be long enough?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.