Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As i have said before my teacher for the ecosystems part of my geography course it TOTALLY CRAP so i haven't really learnt anything on it this year. So, i need some help with these questions. I can think of a basic answer but i want to get high marks, not like 3/8. Please help!

(1) Explain how people's activities may lead to a plagioclimax community? (I only have a vague idea of what a plagioclimax actually is)

(2) Outline the ways in which nutrients are cycled through a small scale ecosytem that you have studied (haven't studied one as far as i know lol)

(3) Describe and explain the abiotic changes which occur during plant succession.

(4) Explain the changes that take place in the physical conditions of a named succession (?!?)

These are all worth 8 marks. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (4) Explain the changes that take place in the physical conditions of a named succession (?!?)

Hi Sian, I'm not sure what syllabus you're on because I'm doing Edexcel and we don't really have a lot of these questions. I can help with question 4 I think though...

If you use the Ainsdale Dunes in Lancashire as an example of plant sucession of a psammosere (sand dune). (Btw, I'm not sure if this is what they mean by physical changes, but I'm taking that as meaning 'explain the plant sucession'??) Sand twitch is found ont he embryo dunes as it can withstand the salty conditions of the sea water (halophitic). As you move further inland, there is a more arid environment (xerophytic), so you find plants such as marram grass on the fore dune ridge and first dune ridge. As you move further inland still, the environment becomes more sheltered and more organic material is present in the soil so larger plants and shrubs grow here. The slacks in between the sand dunes are water-logged so reeds and rushes grow in these areas. If allowed to reach the climatic climax for the UK, oak and woodland would be found growing there. (I'm not sure if this is what the q is asking for, it's a bit odd. It might just be asking why, for instance, halophitic conditions are found near the sea and xerophytic more inland, and why organic material increases inland etc etc. Does the q give any more info?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)

Hi Sian, I'm not sure what syllabus you're on because I'm doing Edexcel and we don't really have a lot of these questions. I can help with question 4 I think though...

If you use the Ainsdale Dunes in Lancashire as an example of plant sucession of a psammosere (sand dune). (Btw, I'm not sure if this is what they mean by physical changes, but I'm taking that as meaning 'explain the plant sucession'??) Sand twitch is found ont he embryo dunes as it can withstand the salty conditions of the sea water (halophitic). As you move further inland, there is a more arid environment (xerophytic), so you find plants such as marram grass on the fore dune ridge and first dune ridge. As you move further inland still, the environment becomes more sheltered and more organic material is present in the soil so larger plants and shrubs grow here. The slacks in between the sand dunes are water-logged so reeds and rushes grow in these areas. If allowed to reach the climatic climax for the UK, oak and woodland would be found growing there. (I'm not sure if this is what the q is asking for, it's a bit odd. It might just be asking why, for instance, halophitic conditions are found near the sea and xerophytic more inland, and why organic material increases inland etc etc. Does the q give any more info?)
    Merci beacoup x
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    http://www.cix.co.uk/~argus/Dreambio...and%20dune.htm seems quite helpful

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.