Turn on thread page Beta

about stalling your car watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what's your reaction on it?

For me it happened today but i'm not used to drive my petrol car (Clio) yet

When was the tast time it happened to you? (if it still happen sometimes)

if you want you can share here a stalling story lol

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Well I stalled my car at the front of a single lane cross road at some lights. They went from red to green to red to green. Then myself and the instructor had to swap places.

That was fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adipoptosis)
    Well I stalled my car at the front of a single lane cross road at some lights. They went from red to green to red to green. Then myself and the instructor had to swap places.

That was fun.

Why did you need to swap places lol? The instructor should have dual controls and be able to use the clutch on his side..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seizetoday)
    Why did you need to swap places lol? The instructor should have dual controls and be able to use the clutch on his side..
    He didn't have dual controls in that particular car unfortunately.

Really it was terrifying.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't have dual controls in that particular car unfortunately.

Really it was terrifying.
    Dangerous that he doesn't have dual controls whilst teaching. However, I don't know the legal stuff.

Anyway dude, if you stall, just remember to stay calm and slowly release the clutch. You will get a feel for the clutch once you get more driving experience.

ReputationRep:
    One time I stalled in the middle of a crossroads on a driving lesson. It was fairly early on in my lessons, but I still remember it.

I still stall every now and then, but it's very rare that I do it now (I passed my test last August). One time I did stall about 3 times in a row at roadworks traffic lights (I got through them though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seizetoday)
    Dangerous that he doesn't have dual controls whilst teaching. However, I don't know the legal stuff.

Anyway dude, if you stall, just remember to stay calm and slowly release the clutch. You will get a feel for the clutch once you get more driving experience.
    Ive driven over 50,000 miles since then

But thanks for your advice I drive an Automatic now so I've forgotten most of the stuff I learnt.

ReputationRep:
    Ive driven over 50,000 miles since then

But thanks for your advice I drive an Automatic now so I've forgotten most of the stuff I learnt.
    Ah lol I thought you were srill a learner driver. My bad.

Awesome! I want an automatic so bad lol..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Been a long time, though it's been nearly two years since I passed my test so it should be :lol: Last time was about a year ago I think, pulled up to a junction and then had to stop, somehow skipped my mind to switch from 2nd to 1st and I tried to move off in 2nd on a slight uphill.

ReputationRep:
    Still happens to experienced drivers, occasionally. Main causes then are wrong gear, cold engine, getting flustered to move in to a gap which is tight on time or just lapse of concentration carelessness.

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately petrols are more forgiving when you try pulling away in 2nd gear! In my instructors diesel it would almost guarantee a stall if you tried setting off in 2nd gear unless you are ever so careful and slow with picking up speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Fortunately petrols are more forgiving when you try pulling away in 2nd gear! In my instructors diesel it would almost guarantee a stall if you tried setting off in 2nd gear unless you are ever so careful and slow with picking up speed.

i didn't event know that

ReputationRep:
    I did it yesterday. I was parked somewhere and I had my gear in first and clutch down then I realised I forgot to get something from my house so without thinking, I lifted my foot off the clutch and stalled the car lol after over two years of driving I still stall every now and again. I am always like 'oh sh*t' when I do lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john37)
    i didn't event know that
    Well the honda civic (petrol) I drive can pull away in 2nd without too much of an effort, not sure if all petrols are like that but im just assuming tho haha

ReputationRep:
    Stalled at a roundabout and in front of a Zebra crossing, both very embarassing for me hahaa :{

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly92xo)
    I did it yesterday. I was parked somewhere and I had my gear in first and clutch down then I realised I forgot to get something from my house so without thinking, I lifted my foot off the clutch and stalled the car lol after over two years of driving I still stall every now and again. I am always like 'oh sh*t' when I do lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do that far too often. The other one I do which is quite similar is that I leave it parked in first, come out in the morning to go to work but the windscreen is iced up so without thinking i just switch the engine on to get the heaters going and it jolts forward.

ReputationRep:
    When I first got my car I went for a drive not realising it had a really high biting point which I wasn't used to.

After going through the McDonalds drive thru I stalled it 5 times on the hill at the lights, the lights changed about 3 times...so embarrassing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by James A)
    Well the honda civic (petrol) I drive can pull away in 2nd without too much of an effort, not sure if all petrols are like that but im just assuming tho haha
    Nah, usually Diesels are much more forgiving than Petrols

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.