Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently in the process of choosing my BSc choice and was thing of transferring to Kings for philosophy- has anyone done this before? Would really appreciate more information on the whole thing- how is it? Is it a big change? What are the chances of getting a first? How many lectures a week, that sort of thing...
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    From medicine to philosophy? Not worth it, do something medicine related that you have an interest in.
    Also philosophy is BA not BSc.

ReputationRep:
    Kings offer it as a bsc to medical students,
    Just trying to find out more about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBee406)
    Kings offer it as a bsc to medical students,
    Just trying to find out more about it...
    Well everyone knows philosophy isn't Bsc it's more to do with language and is an art. Don't bother doing it, you'll only put more pressure on yourself, with no medical gain.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone on the course at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBee406)
    Anyone on the course at the moment?
    No because it's not worth doing it as a BSC, since it isn't.
    I know people doing BA though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

Sorry this is months too late and you've either applied or not applied but I really hope Guren didn't put you off! Ive applied for this course and I've spoken to quite a few people who've done it in the past and said amazing things, hope to see you there

ReputationRep:
    Don't be put off, medicine often straddles art and science, your intercalated is a chance to explore new ideas, its your choice to choose what you want. If I had a choice of an intercalated I would likely do history of medicine, a humanity. Don't listen to the haters if that is what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxjessicajadexx)
    Hey there,

Sorry this is months too late and you've either applied or not applied but I really hope Guren didn't put you off! Ive applied for this course and I've spoken to quite a few people who've done it in the past and said amazing things, hope to see you there
    I'm intercalating at KCL next year in Oral & Craniofacial Biology.. Anyone coming from outside King's??

ReputationRep:
    I'm intercalating in Philosophy at King's now (in fact I'm supposed to be revising), having left Sheffield after 3rd year. It's definitely worth doing. A philosophy degree will change the way you look at everything, forever. I don't mean that you'll be questioning the existence of everything (although I suppose you could), rather that what other students/doctors consider a straightforward ethical scenario you will think twice about.

Philosophy and medicine go hand in hand, and despite not doing any philosophy of medicine this year (at least, not as part of the course) I know it has helped me immensely. Naturally you forget some medical knowledge, but that shouldn't put you off.

I'm sure you have already applied DBee, but hopefully someone else will see this and apply to.

p.s. it is a BSc

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever use TSR nowadays but I definitely thought I had to chime in with this thread.

Studying Philosophy at Kings (coming across from Barts) was one of the best choices I've made at uni.

@Alumni we really need to get this site going again/revamped!

http://kclaiphil.co.uk/kclaiphil/Welcome.html

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.