Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've tried everything but I really cannot get my head around mechanics and despite all my efforts I cannot answer this question, any help would really be appreciated:

The driving force produced by the engine of a car of mass one tonne causes a car to accelerate uniformly from rest to a speed of 8ms-1 in 6 seconds along a rough horizontal road. If the coefficient of friction between the car and the plane if 0.3, find the driving force of the car

ReputationRep:
    Find acceleration, Find Friction using coefficient of friction and reactant force vertically ( fr=0.3R). Then Driving Force-friction=mass x acceleration. And rearrange to find Driving Force hope this is right, haven't done mechanics in a year or two, if not try drawing a diagram to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So we know that over the course of 6 seconds the car goes from stationary to 8 ms-1 s.

u= 0 v =8 t= 6 a=??

v=u + at

8=0 + 6a
    a= 8/6 ms-2 (you could have simply divided 8/6 straight but using equations is good practice)

So since its horizontal the weight component has only one direction, vertically downwards (if it was inclined on a slope then it would exert a force down the slope) this is because as you know every force has a vertical and horizontal component, but cos90 = 0, therefore the resolved horizontal component of weight is 0..as 10,000*cos90 = 0.

Force - resistance = mass * acceleration

We know that the resistance is only friction..which is determined by the equation of fric=coefficient of friction * normal contact force.

Here the normal contact force is the weight since its horizontal.

So

F - 0.3*1000= 1000*(8/6)

F = 1000*(8/6) + 0.3*1000

I hope the driving force is 1633.4 N or 1634 to this day I dk how to round it off

Use the downloadable pdfs here they really helped me a lot. Download, read and understand.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/proje...vel/alevel.htm

http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/courses/...ics/mechanics/ (quick reference)

dw I used to struggle a lot with mechanics too, its just about practice..there are key words you must understand.. smooth means no friction is to be considered. Rough means friction should be considered. Horizontal means its not inclined. Always draw force diagrams!

Theres also another way to do this. That involves potential and kinetic energy, You use the principle that the change in kinetic energy = work done by driving force - work done by resistive force. Basically

0.5m(v^2-u^2) = F*d - 0.3*m*d

where distance is calculated s= 0.5(u +v)t

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethanyduck)
    Find acceleration, Find Friction using coefficient of friction and reactant force vertically ( fr=0.3R). Then Driving Force-friction=mass x acceleration. And rearrange to find Driving Force hope this is right, haven't done mechanics in a year or two, if not try drawing a diagram to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, this really helped me out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ifailedumad)
    So we know that over the course of 6 seconds the car goes from stationary to 8 ms-1 s.

u= 0 v =8 t= 6 a=??

v=u + at

8=0 + 6a
    a= 8/6 ms-2 (you could have simply divided 8/6 straight but using equations is good practice)

So since its horizontal the weight component has only one direction, vertically downwards (if it was inclined on a slope then it would exert a force down the slope) this is because as you know every force has a vertical and horizontal component, but cos90 = 0, therefore the resolved horizontal component of weight is 0..as 1000*cos90 = 0.

Force - resistance = mass * acceleration

We know that the resistance is only friction..which is determined by the equation of fric=coefficient of friction * normal contact force.

Here the normal contact force is the weight since its horizontal.

So

F - 0.3*1000= 1000*(8/6)

F = 1000*(8/6) + 0.3*1000

I hope the driving force is 1633.4 N or 1634 to this day I dk how to round it off

Use the downloadable pdfs here they really helped me a lot. Download, read and understand.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/proje...vel/alevel.htm

http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/courses/...ics/mechanics/ (quick reference)

dw I used to struggle a lot with mechanics too, its just about practice..there are key words you must understand.. smooth means no friction is to be considered. Rough means friction should be considered. Horizontal means its not inclined. Always draw force diagrams!

Theres also another way to do this. That involves potential and kinetic energy, You use the principle that the change in kinetic energy = work done by driving force - work done by resistive force. Basically

0.5m(v^2-u^2) = F*d - 0.3*m*d

where distance is calculated s= 0.5(u +v)t
    Thank you for going through this step by step, it helped me to understand the question a whole lot more and thanks for the pdfs they're really useful, I definitely need more practise

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.