Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently choosing my A-levels and I'm not yet sure that I want to do maths. But is it useful for biology.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ellieadams)
    Hi,
    I'm currently choosing my A-levels and I'm not yet sure that I want to do maths. But is it useful for biology.
    Generally there is very little maths in A level Biology, and when there is it's basic multiplication/division etc. There was a little bit of stats in my coursework but I managed just fine with only a B at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I second changing skies. I am half way through maths & biology A2s and so far I haven't learnt anything in maths a level that has been any use in biology. All the maths in biology exams is straightforward GCSE stuff. You may have to use a stats test in your coursework, but you can learn that when you come to it and you don't learn that in a level maths anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is pretty useful for most things. The branch of match which is most relevant for biology is statistics since life sciences involve experiments with highly variable things and you need statistical analysis to understand if your treatments are making a difference and you can disprove your null hypothesis. This said there are many biologists with poor understanding of statistics (my teaching at A level biology and even at uni was woeful) and it does not seem to be an absolute requirement for biological sciences at uni. So, I think you would be ahead of the pack with biology and good mathematical aptitude and study.

ReputationRep:
    Have to agree, I did both maths and biology at AS and it didn't make any difference, most of the maths in biology is simple multiplication or logic. If you're looking at a degree to do with biology or chemistry, uni's will respect maths above other subjects tho

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.