Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting Edexcel AS Government and Politics, because last time around I left my revision to the last minute, was ill in the days prior to the exam and mucked it up My question is, has anyone got any tips for revising Politics? How did you do it? It's not quite memorising facts like History and Psychology, or understanding ideas like English; it's an unusual combination and I just cannot get to grips with it! Any tips from other Politics students? Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I'm resitting Edexcel AS Government and Politics, because last time around I left my revision to the last minute, was ill in the days prior to the exam and mucked it up My question is, has anyone got any tips for revising Politics? How did you do it? It's not quite memorising facts like History and Psychology, or understanding ideas like English; it's an unusual combination and I just cannot get to grips with it! Any tips from other Politics students? Thanks guys
    when i did my exams, i just wrote out all my notes- went through them with a highlighter and wrote lists of everything i needed to remember. It was easier for me though, as we had a really good teacher and i could remember most stuff from when we had done it in class.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    im in year 11 and i got 100% when i di g+p lats year, and my best advice is just to understand the ideas behind the question, not learn facts they shoudl just be used to back up arguments not make them. make sure you read round the subject so that you understand it of your own free will and learning not just regurgitated from the teacher and learnt because you have to.

ReputationRep:
    I will do edexcel g&p AS this Sep,as a foreigner, I don't know how to prepare it,could you give me some advices,please?Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Learn the syllabus verbatum, learn current examples to back up majority of points. No need for any intelligence/thought to pass AS politics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A2 Edexcel Politics this year

Find the best ways to revise are doing practice questions, or just planning answers out so you can allocate your time well, as this is really important in politics.

Writing notes out and doing spider diags definitely helped me last year. Good Luck

ReputationRep:

Try getting your hands on past papers, and possibily the examiner's reports and the syllabus. The range of questions they can ask you is limited and fairly predictable, so try and come up with a list of all possibilities. Then refer to your notes and plan answers to the questions. Add to that reading the newpaper and you should be fine! What topics are you doing? I have done it but that was a whole year ago..

ReputationRep:
    There has been lots of good advice already...

Try and get hold of a mark scheme as they are always very thorough for Edexcel G&P.

Lots of practice questions, put lots of planning and effort into them, then they serve as a good set of revision notes as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    There has been lots of good advice already...

Try and get hold of a mark scheme as they are always very thorough for Edexcel G&P.

Lots of practice questions, put lots of planning and effort into them, then they serve as a good set of revision notes as well.
    Ahh! The legendary Thomas Hitchings!!

ReputationRep:
    You should take a look at the following website:

http://www.tutor2u.net/revision_notes_politics.asp

ReputationRep:
    While we're on the subject of politics, can anybody reccomend any websites that can explain to me (simply) the "characteristics, functions, roles, and effectivness" of local government, parliament, and the european parliament and council of minsters. (AQA) The topic bores me to death when I try to read about it so I need something simple and concise that just gives me the facts.

ReputationRep:
    You guys have been amazingly helpful - thank you so so much. This'll really make a difference. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    There's some overlap between different topics, e.g. parliamentary reform and constitutional reform, and there are some facts that you can use to back up a point in one topic, e.g. the government having a majority in parliament. If you identify those, it makes the topics make a lot more sense and makes it all easier to remember. It also helps, keeping an eye on the news, as knowledge about the latest political occurrences can mean the examiner awards you extra marks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying AQA A2 Government & Politics, which I presume is similar in nature to Edexcel. My best advice would be to learn the theory, as this will be the framework of your essays - again, I don't know about Edexcel, but with AQA the essays are nearly always a discussion. So, you'll need the theory to argue both ways, but don't forget examples and statistics. Our teachers always tell us that whenever we write a statement, try to back it up with evidence. Also, avoid telling the examiner what you think the answer is - make sure you learn phrases like "it can be argued...", "however, others have commented...", "critics argue that..." etc.

One more thing - don't going into overkill on the examples and statistics - just learn ones that you know you'll remember - there might be a gimmick that will help, such as 66% in 1966 etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you look back over the years you will see that Edexcel As level questions are fairly predictable. There are basically eight subject areas split between two papers. They are:

Elections
    Political Parties
    Referenda
    Pressure Groups
    Democracy (can include devolution so watch out)
    The Judiciary
    Parliament
    The Prime Mininster and Cabinet

The third paper is a synoptic module in a stimulus - response style.

As level G&P is fairly fact based subject. You learn a series of facts and then reproduce them in the exam. You are not really asked to do anything other than this and this is why A2 is so much harder as this is where you are asked to provide opinion and evaluation.

My advice would be to look at past papers and plan your revision accordingly. Some questions seem to *always* come up albeit phrased in a different manner. Sometimes they dont even bother altering the way that they are worded:

What is the difference between the types of pressure groups?

Outline the powers of the Prime Minister. (or) How powerful is the Prime Minister?

What are the functions of Parliament?

Remember to learn the difference between a feature and a function as I had difficulty getting this into my head.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as someone said AS politics is just about learning facts.. A2 is when it becomes analystical. What worked for me last year was having 2 A4 sheets of bullet points for each topic and memorising them. You need to know it well enough to be able to write without thinking about what to write.. because the AS is mainly a race against time to finish the questions so you don't want to waste anytime one planning.

I'm using the same method of revision for A2 but with more extensive notes and less definitions.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm going through my notes and reducing them, putting any factual things- that perhaps I don't definitely need to know, but it would be impressive to refer to up on my pinboard. The example here for me is who is who in the Bush Administration, list of Presidents since 1945 and Newt Gingrich's Contract With America. I'm doing OCR A2 Government and Politics,and i haven't found anyone outside of my school doing the same syllabus

My other method, read the paper every day(I get the Guardian)

ReputationRep:
    Arggh! Gingrich is so annoying.. why did he have to make so many changes!? There's too much to learn!

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting Edexcel AS <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=Government&v=55">Go vernment</a> and Politics, because last <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=55">time</a> around I left my revision to the last minute, was ill in the days prior to the exam and mucked it up My question is, has anyone got any tips for revising Politics? How did you do it? It's not quite memorising facts like History and Psychology, or understanding ideas like English; it's an unusual combination and I just cannot get to grips with it! Any tips from other Politics students? Thanks guys
    it's important to keep up to date and watch the news, read news paper etc, regulary.

the best way i managed to revise was to learn paragraphs off by heart and re- write it, that way it sticks in your head.

have you tried: www.thinkhistory.co.uk

it's a great site

i have been doing brainstorms for everything...so i have a brainstorm for election systems and one for constitutional reform

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.