Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In relation to all other planets of which we know.

We have the most beautiful, amazing jewel the known universe. Completely unique.

Unique among all that we've been able to see. Home to complexity and intelligence that doesn't exist outside our hopeful fantasies for so very far away. If at all.

ReputationRep:
    Earth is beautiful no doubt about it... whats the point of this thread?

ReputationRep:
    If you are fortunate enough to be born in conditions that are favourable, namely not a war zone, no poor genetic predispositions and an awful environment that is trying to kill you constantly. Yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    Earth is beautiful no doubt about it... whats the point of this thread?
    It's a thought that occurred to me upon looking at the back cover of my 'Japanese in 90 Days' textbook. And I happened to feel like sharing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    If you are fortunate enough to be born in conditions that are favourable, namely not a war zone, no poor genetic predispositions and an awful environment that is trying to kill you constantly. Yes it is.
    From an aesthetic perspective tho.

Imagine yourself an alien on the edge of our knowledge, able to see us and everything in-between.

What would you want, out of all that you could see?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    It's a thought that occurred to me upon looking at the back cover of my 'Japanese in 90 Days' textbook. And I happened to feel like sharing it.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly is. Makes you wonder. Such a shame that we humans take it for granted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    From an aesthetic perspective tho.

Imagine yourself an alien on the edge of our knowledge, able to see us and everything in-between.

What would you want, out of all that you could see?
    It is arrogant for me to presume I could imagine to be someone from another culture, yet alone another planet.

I am convinced aesthetics is mostly relative, and this comes from someone who has refined tastes and despises low culture; the evidence being namely that you will view the world differently depending on your circumstances; the world might appear beautiful to you but to those who have suffered their entire lives, there is a certain ugliness about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    It is arrogant for me to presume I could imagine to be someone from another culture, yet alone another planet.

I am convinced aesthetics is mostly relative, and this comes from someone who has refined tastes and despises low culture; the evidence being namely that you will view the world differently depending on your circumstances; the world might appear beautiful to you but to those who have suffered their entire lives, there is a certain ugliness about it.
    I guess our seeing blue and green as more beautiful than the yellow of desert does relate to our relation to blue water and green plant life. But given what we know there's no reason to accept hypothetical valuations above our own.

Having said that you could paint a world of orange and black which may be thought beautiful also. I know of no such contrast.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.