Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have suffered from depression for about 10 years, but have tried to keep it under control through medication, keeping busy, etc. However lately, it has just got worse and I find myself not willing to do anything in life anymore- I sleep until 2pm most days and spend the rest of my day in my PJs.

The main cause is I feel like a failure. I have no job and I can't see any way of my being successful in life. Like many, I spent £thousands on University, only to find that once I graduated, no one cared about degrees anymore. I was told I had to get some 'skills' so I did- I went and spent 4K of my savings on a NCTJ journalism course, because everyone told me it would give me a 'wide range of skills and get my employed.'

It's true, I know have a wide range of skills- shorthand, law, reporting....but still no one will hire me.

Currently I work 7 hours per week stacking shelves in a shop. It's been good over the years for a bit of funny, but now I feel like a failure. My dad isn't helping- he keeps telling me to go and get a job, but he doesn't realise how hard it is. He told me to get a full time job stacking shelves.... he doesn't realise how bad that makes me feel after I have tried so hard to make something of myself.

People tell me to move to London, but I really don't want to rent a house with strangers, it is so out of my comfort zone. When I am at home I like to be on my own. Also, after rent and bills I would probably not have any money left over at the end.

I guess I want some advise here. I don't know what to do anymore. I have tried all I can, but I'm slowly giving up. All my money right now is going on driving lessons so I can improve my prospects, but I hardly have any motivation in life. I just want to sleep, all the time, and I no longer care about being a person.

ReputationRep:
    Write it all down on paper (your skills + what you want to do), see if it's on your CV, if not, add them (+ ask for a reference from your current boss) and try again

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.