Turn on thread page Beta

Changing degree at 25 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    MY situation: after some time out of education (due to depression and bad choices), I started university this year. I thought I'd enjoy the degree this time, but after this first semester I can say I'm having a hard time again. I don't know if it's because I havent recovered from the depression, but I'm really not enjoying the degree, my colleagues, most of my professors and the university in general. I haven't made any friends, which I think it's related to not liking the course, we just have 4 hours straight of classes everyday and I'm often just really frustrated everyday. I study at night as I didn't have the marks to get in the morning class, which is also not good because I need to find a job and most offers are when I have classes. I have failed in half of the subjects and have to do exams and have benn findind it very difficult to focus in studying and I'll probably just fail them. The ones I passed I had actually good marks and are the only ones I enjoyed. Basically they are language and history subjects, so I'm considering changing to a degree where I can combine both, maybe somewhere I can do a major/minor type of degree, because I can in fact choose most of my subjects.

What is bothering me is that I'm already 25 and I've lost quite a couple of years and this would be anoter year lost. Sure, graduating at 27 or 28 doesn't really make much difference, but I'll be 7 years older that most of my colleagues and I don't have much work experience (I'm trying to change that). I also want to study abroad but I feel I'm just too old to do it. Also, I feel I would really disappoint my mother if I change because, like I said before, this couple of years have been quite difficult. Are languages and history graduates sought after? Also, If I change, what are good ways to have relevant work experience?

Sorry if this sounds confusing but it's like I feel at the moment, I don't really know what do to, I just felt the need to vent a little as I feel I don't really have anyone to talk to. I thank everyone who reads through all this, and any messeage or advice will be greatle appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation as you, except I'm 32 and now considering a postgrade. The way I'm looking at it is that I'm doing it for me, to improve myself, age is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    i m in the same boat as you with age and everything. PM me if you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coat)
    Are languages and history graduates sought after?
    Yes! Absolutely. History graduates are valued for their analytical and writing skills, and languages are useful in all kinds of fields. I think you should talk to advisors at your current university as soon as possible to discuss your options.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.