Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

ReputationRep:
    Count how much it'll cost to bring up a child. And while you're at it, both you and your boyfriend should start looking for more secure jobs as you both know you're under threat of losing them

ReputationRep:
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emjaylu)
    Well, I doubt anyone would employ me now that I'm pregnant, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Find a job that you would like to do after your maternity leave period.
    (Of course, you'd prefer to stay in your current job until you're about 36 weeks pregnant, but as you've said, there is no guarantee of that)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emjaylu)
    We are also worried about receiving help with the baby when they are both disabled and unable to give the help we may need.
    What do you mean "give the help we may need"? You and your partner are having a baby, his parents are not. Yes, some people do have very supportive and helpful parents, but others don't. There is no given rule that people have to help you. You have to go into it planning how you will deal with it on your own, and then any further help can be a bonus.

As for your jobs, I would very much recommend trying to find something else. I believe that a lot of places say that you have to have worked there for six months before you got maternity pay. If you found a job now, you would qualify for this, as you can't be very far along.

Save up as much money from your jobs as you can, whilst looking for permanent ones.

You should find that you can rent a property if you're both working full time. If you lose your jobs, you will be eligible for some help paying rent via housing benefit. You will also get child benefit when your baby is born, though this isn't a great deal.

The best thing to do would be to book an appointment with the benefits office to talk through your options. You might be entitled to benefits depending on how much you're earning now, but as I say your best bet is to talk to people who know for sure!

About your mum's house - I wouldn't worry about the busy road at this point. If she's willing to have you living there I'm sure something could be sorted space wise, and your baby won't be walking for a while so you could live there for perhaps the first year whilst saving for a place of your own. Lots of people live on busy roads, but even those in quiet streets know that you absolutely cannot let your child out of your sight, and certainly can't allow them to be leaving the house on their own. I wouldn't have thought that the road would be a problem until your child was old enough to start playing outside on their own, which wouldn't be for years!

ReputationRep:
    No

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.